34. Passion and Wrath

Start from the beginning

Shouldn't...shouldn't...

Oh yes, Lilly, that darn inner voice of mine screamed. We should! We most definitely should!

I tried to fight it. Tried to get back my reason, which seemed intent on taking an extended holiday. This was bloody madness! Hadn't we worked long and hard to make sure our true identities remained secret? We were on a ship full of goddamn pirates! We shouldn't be doing this! We shouldn't—

"My little ifrit," he murmured against my lips. Then his hand slid down to my belly, cupping it with unbelievable tenderness. "My family. My everything."

My last vestiges of resistance crumbled. I melted into his arms, letting his hands roam wild and his lips scatter searing kisses all across my face. When his mouth returned to mine, he reclaimed it with the ferocity of a conqueror staking his claim.

And yet...

And yet it wasn't enough. Never enough. Yes, he could kiss me, yes, he could hold me, but there was always a barrier between him and myself. A barrier that kept giving me loving kicks now and again!

A growl of frustration ripped free from his throat. Whirling me around, he pressed into me from behind, his rock-hard muscles somehow feeling better than the softest cushions I had ever touched. Especially one that was nestled right between the cheeks of my...

Oh dear.

I swallowed. Or at least I tried to. But my mouth was far too dry. The only thing separating him and me now was a pair of rather threadbare trousers.

"Mr Ambrose?"

"Yes?"

"Shouldn't we both change? I think you are also overdressed."

"Agreed."

He didn't hesitate for a moment. In a flash, he had divested himself of his half-open shirt. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw him shrug it off and hurl it into a corner of the room. Then, with a fierce look in his eyes, he captured my cheek in his hand.

"Ready?" he demanded.

Unable to look away, I gazed deep into his dark, sea-coloured orbs. "Since I said yes at the altar."

His dark eyes flashed with untold emotions and, without waiting another instant, he reached down to his trousers, shoved them down and—

Someone knocked at the door?

"Captain? Captain!"

The both of us froze.

Slowly, very slowly, I turned my face enough to stare at him. Leaning closer, I whispered into Mr Rikkard Ambrose's ear with an icy voice that even he would have been proud of: "You did lock that door, didn't you?"

A pause.

"With a fifty percent certainty, Mrs Ambrose."

"In other words, you have no bloody idea!"

I swallowed.

Any moment now. Any moment now, that door could fly open, and we would be discovered, and, and...

And why the heck does that make me feel hot?

Oh, don't get me wrong, if anyone actually did open that door, I would scratch their eyes out before throwing them overboard. But the idea that it could happen, that I was having a secret tryst with my pirate captain of a husband that nobody could know about...

A delicious shiver went down my back as I glanced over my shoulder at Mr Rikkard Ambrose. He was staring at the door with a steely look in his eyes. In those dark orbs, I could read the future. If anyone actually dared to open that door, I would not have to do anything. My husband would eviscerate them and pluck out their eyes before I could so much as blink. If it was for me, for his family, he would do anything.