38. Discovered!

Over the next few days, I had lots of fun. And no, by that I do not mean having secret trysts in the captain's cabin! Get your mind out of the gutter!

Although we did that, too. A lot.

Ehem, where was I...

Ah, yes! Explaining how much fun pillaging and setting things on fire was!

Was that bad? Probably. But here was the thing: I didn't give a flying fig. These people hadn't hesitated even an instant to let a ship flying the Jolly Roger approach and escort them across the ocean. It had taken me some time to realize what that meant, but finally it clicked.

"They know." Eyes narrowed, I gazed out across the sea at our next target. The sailors were waiting at the railing, big grins on their faces. "I thought it was just a captain here and there, but that's not it. They all know about the pirates being hired to eliminate their competition."

When nothing but silence came from behind me, I turned around. Mr Rikkard Ambrose was looking at me, his eyes cool and unperturbed.

"You knew. You knew that they knew from the beginning."

He cocked his head. "Why do you think I started approaching my competitor's ships flying a pirate flag?"

Oh.

So...that had been a test?

Of course. This was Mr Rikkard Ambrose. He always had a reason for what he was doing, and most often more than one.

"So..." Eyes narrowed into slits, I once again stared at the distant ship. "Do you think they know about the other things as well? The sabotage? The murder attempt?"

"Most likely not. But..."

"But?"

"Probably only because nobody bothered to inform them. As for whether they would have cared had they known...?"

He trailed off meaningfully.

I swallowed. "I see."

"Indeed."

"Captain Rockface?"

"Yes, Freddy the Fatty?"

"Do you think you could show me how to load a cannon?"

"With pleasure."

Five minutes later...

Boom!

"Mwhahahahaha!"

"Um...are you all right, Mister?"

Glancing behind me, I noticed Liam. For some reason, he was eyeing me wearily.

"Never been better! Hand me that cannonball, will you?"

"Err...all right."

Boom!

"Haha! Mwhahahaha!"

Suffice it to say it was a very satisfying day. Firing cannons does wonders for pregnancy moods. I should recommend it to Ella once I got home.

"Homeward, men!" Mr Ambrose roared from where he was dangling in the rigging, a sabre clutched in his right hand. "Homeward to celebrate!"

A roar of cheers went up from the crowd of pirates on the deck below. The fact that the deck happened to be spattered with blood and was part of a stolen ship didn't seem to bother any of them. It also didn't really bother me, for that matter.

"Plenty of whiskey and rum for everyone!"

"Huzzah!" the pirates roared. Throwing my arms into the air, I joined in. "Huzzah, huzzah!"