"Oh, wait, Naruto! Just a second, I've got something for you." Minato walked over pulling a small scroll out of his jacket. "This came for you today. I think it might make you feel better."

Naruto looked down at the small scroll and immediately recognized who it was from. His eyes lit up in a way they hadn't in a while as he quickly grabbed it from his dad's hands, running up the stairs while yelling back, "Thanks! Goodnight!"

Minato just looked up at where Naruto had been, quickly calling up after him, "Goodnight, Naruto. Please...don't forget I love you." He went back to the table as he sank down into a chair. He knew that there was nothing else that he could do, for now all he could do was put his trust in any hope that Gaara's letter would give him.

When Naruto got to his room he tore open the scroll and excitedly read the small letter, his excitement growing by the second.

Naruto! I was able to become a genin! I know you haven't tried becoming one yet, but if you do this time, we'll be able to meet at the chunin exams eventually! I hope you've been okay. Can't wait to catch up! Bye!

P.S. Sorry I haven't written in so long. I've been practicing with my sand a lot. Can't wait to show you! Bye for real this time!

Naruto had a big smile on his face and was laughing as he read what Gaara had written. He's still just as scatter-brained as he used to be. Standing out on his balcony, and holding the scroll in his hand, he felt more determined than he had in years. "All right, I'll pass the test this time, ya know. You can count on it, Gaara."

The rest of the time before the test went quickly for Naruto. He still pretended not to listen in class, but he did decide to at least show up on time, which caught all of his classmates off guard. He still didn't want everyone to know that he was stronger than he pretended to be. He wanted to be accepted as himself and not for how strong he was, or who his dad was.

"Alright, class. We're going to pull you all out individually now and you will take your final test." Iruka-sensei started to call out people in class, each one disappearing when their name was called until Naruto was the last one left. "Naruto! It's your turn."

Naruto walked silently into the testing room. All of the instructors were there from the academy, as well as his dad, and all of them, apart from his dad and Iruka, were staring at him in boredom, already expecting him to fail.

With a small, barely noticeable smirk on his face, Naruto brought his hands up to his chest, calling out something unexpected to everyone, "Shadow-clone jutsu!" Everyone watched, astounded, as 3 perfect shadow-clones stood next to Naruto, each one with a satisfied smile on their faces. Even Minato was surprised by what he saw. He knew that Naruto was strong, but he never expected something like this. "Guess that means I pass, ya know!" He was still smiling as Iruka walked up to him, stunned.

"Congratulations on passing the test, Naruto." Iruka handed Naruto a shinobi headband and finally let a proud smile grow on his face, "You'll meet tomorrow to be assigned to your team. Good job."

Naruto still had a large, satisfied smile on his face as he started walking out the door, but before leaving he glanced back briefly to look at his dad, nodding just to let him understand his resolve to make things work. When he finally got out the door Naruto skipped down the hall feeling the happiest he had been in years. He couldn't wait to see everyone's faces the next day.

On his way home, Naruto stopped at Ichiraku's, wanting his favorite ramen after passing the test. As he sat down, Teuchi turned and smiled at the young boy. "Hey Naruto! You look as though something good happened."

"Hey old man! Yeah, I passed the test today, so I am now officially a ninja, ya know!" Naruto was smiling as he ate his ramen. "So now I'll get to go on missions and everything!"

"Good job, Naruto. I never doubted you could do it!"

"Thanks!" Naruto quickly finished off his ramen before jumping off his stool and starting to head out. "I'll see ya next time!"

Naruto wasn't surprised when he got home and didn't see his dad. I guess passing the test wasn't enough to get him to actually come home and congratulate me... Naruto felt a pang in his chest as he made his way to his room. He understood how hard his dad worked, but couldn't help but be sad that he still didn't make the time to come home even for a little bit.

The next morning, Naruto made sure to be the first one there. He wanted to prove to everyone that he wasn't just a waste of space, and he felt proud of himself as everyone had the same look of shock on their faces as they noticed him. He could hear murmurs of disbelief coming from everyone, but chose to just ignore them. He didn't care anyways.

When everyone was seated, Iruka finally came in and began calling out the teams. Naruto wasn't happy that he was put on the same team as Sasuke and Sakura, but he didn't feel the need to argue either, though Sakura seemed to complain a lot. He wasn't surprised when Sasuke didn't say anything.

After everyone had left with their new instructors, Naruto and his team were the only ones left waiting. They were just about to give up for the day when they heard footsteps outside of the door. Naruto wasn't expecting anyone special, but smiled when he noticed who it was. "Kakashi!" Without thinking Naruto ran up and wrapped his arms around the jonin, giving him a tight hug. "Are you going to be our teacher now?!"

"Yes, I am." Kakashi was trying to hold back his smile as he patted Naruto on the head. I know Minato-sensei wanted these three to be put together, but I don't know if it'll work. They both hate Naruto. Kakashi was lost in his thoughts as they all began to introduce themselves. Sakura is only obsessed with Sasuke, while he just thinks everyone is below him, and Naruto just wants to prove himself. I don't think this team will ever work together.

"Kakashi-sensei! What happens now?" Sakura spoke up after everyone was done talking. "Are we going to start training together?" She was only looking at Sasuke, her thoughts showing on her face.

"No, on the contrary. You three will have a mission tomorrow morning at training ground seven. Be there at six and don't eat anything or you'll puke." Kakashi didn't say anything else before he disappeared in a puff of smoke, leaving the three to ponder on what it was he was talking about.

When they had all gathered in the morning, Naruto wasn't surprised that Kakashi was super late. And he wasn't surprised how he started spouting off lame excuses like getting lost on the path to life.

The test went about the same as Naruto had expected it to as well. Though he wasn't expecting to be launched through the air by Kakashi. But, by the time the test had ended, they all ended up passing, and were going to start going on missions. Naruto couldn't wait.

"Naruto. Do you really think they are going to let you out? You are just as trapped as I am." Naruto had just gotten back to his room when he suddenly heard a deep, angry voice coming from inside his mind. As he closed his eyes he found himself in a familiar scene, surrounded by water on all sides, and the red cage in front of him.

"Well yeah...I figured it wouldn't be that easy. They've had me confined for seven years. They're not gonna change their minds all at once..."

"Haha! To think we are both trapped by the very people who want to use us. That's why I hate them!" The voice was rough and it shook the area around them, causing ripples to spread out across the surface of the water.

Naruto was silent as he thought about what was said. He couldn't deny that he hated being trapped, ignored, and hated by everyone. "I'm mad that they act like that too, ya know! But what use does that hate do for me, huh? That's why I'm trying to prove that we don't have to be caged anymore!"

"And that's exactly why I don't necessarily hate you."

"Ha! Thanks, Kurama." Naruto didn't say anything else to the giant fox before he let himself return to the familiar surroundings of his room. He hadn't talked to Kurama in a while, and it felt nice to talk to him again. He knew the same feeling of being caged and used. He was a friend made up of sharing circumstances and he enjoyed the back and forth of their conversations.

After that talk he had with Kurama, he didn't hear anything else from him, but it didn't really surprise him. He also wasn't surprised that the missions their team were being given were all within the village, doing stupid tasks like finding lost cats and weeding lawns. He was getting frustrated and he was determined that no matter what, the next mission would be different.