CHAPTER 5 - TEARS

The Nwafor’s family was in mourning as the death of their father came like a surprise visit. Mr. Nwafor was diagnosed earlier of Kidney failure as a result of the multiple kidney stones that were located in his Kidney. The Dialysis were ceased as the money for it ceased also because, all efforts by Mrs. Nwafor to raise the money was all to no avail. She had gone to meet Mr. and Mrs. Obi Michael who were wealthy couples and also a brother to Mr. Nwafor but she was greeted with an insurmountable amount of ‘come back tomorrow’, which produced no result and which she became tired of. Going on the street was the least thing in Mrs. Nwafor’s mind but she persuaded herself to do it but all her plea was sent to the air even as passer-by looked on her with disdain and with no mercy. The few that were compassionate enough to donate to her didn’t give much. Tears was her food. Life has been tough for the Nwafor’s since Mr. Nwafor lost a hold of his job and friends and brothers have turned against them due to their poverty state.

Tarila was met with the shock of his father’s demise after returning from school and the tears rolled down his cheek as his countenance changed to a sad and sorrowful mood. ‘What will my life now become now?’ he asked himself. Old friends, colleagues and relatives including Mr. Obi Michael started trooping into the Nwafor’s residence to pay a condolence visit to Mrs. Nwafor and Children. While the rest were in mourning state, Ifeanyiwa who was tired of her father’s attitude just gave a sign of mourning and then walked gallantly to her room without saying a word.

The next day was terrible at school. The teachers that once loved him became annoyed and some were good enough to inquire the reason of his sudden melancholia attitude. During the classes Tarila was found to be absent minded and in most cases he was sleeping. Kayode was the only who seem to care about his fate and the thoughts about Nengimote dwindles as he sensed his educational life coming to a halt. With the death of his father, he is sure to be unable to raise the money for his WAEC examination and also he is bewildered with the thoughts that he would be unable to raise the money and to fend for the family. And his sister what more can she do, if it’s not to take care of her Child.

Hearing the news about the death of Tarila’s father, Nengimote walked up to him while he was relaxing his head on the desk during recess. ‘I’m totally sorry for your loss Tarila. I never knew about it and I’m deeply sorry’, she said in her American accent. Hearing the voice of Nengimote made Tarila who was deeply in sorrow came back to life whilst looking at her eyes. As they both walked on the library lobby which leads to the most serene part of the school building where lovers normally hang to. It occurred within the twinkle of an eye as the both of them looked into each other’s eyes while they held hands together. But it was cut short when as a flash the warnings of her father ran across her mind and then she took her hand off Tarila’s hands. Tarila was in joy as he finally met face to face with Nengimote though the thoughts of his Father’s death still plagues him.

But his joy was cut short when he held that his mother has joined his father in the land of the Spirit. It was as though there was an alien or a particular force who was holding the remote control to the Nwafor’s family and presses the button of death whenever it wishes to. Mrs. Nwafor was discovered to be dead at around 12:00pm on that day as a result of heart attack and depression. For an ordinary petty trader to train her children to school was a very difficult task for her and the news of her sudden death led to Tarila’s bereavement.

All those that cared enough to visit visited Tarila and his sister again to console them but what will those words do when they’ll all leave to their various houses soon. Nengimote, Kayode and Ebi all visited Tarila who was still in the state of mourning to comfort him but it’s as though his dream and aspirations in life had been cut short as there was no one to sponsor him to school anymore and the most painful part of it as he reasons is that he’ll be chased out of school if he’s unable to pay his fees and thus won’t be able to see Nengimote anymore. While he was in solitude and in deep thought about his life he fell asleep.

The Physics test result was released and in total bewilderment Mr. One strike was surprised to discover that Tarila was among those that performed poorly. The same thing occurred in other subjects as he became swallowed in thoughts of the Unknown. Every day he also wished for death to take him also because his life is becoming naught.