Chapter Four

You would check on Jason every few hours, with him getting annoyed at you every time you would wake him up. He wasn't showing any head trauma, so you left him alone and finally allowed yourself to sleep. You woke up the next morning and took a shower. After you got out, you got dressed, unsure of what to do with the day. There weren't any crimes for you to help out with today, so it was completely free for you.

You got paid plenty to help out with crimes, meaning that you could afford to take a day or two off. You walked into the kitchen to make food and on your way, you noticed Jason still passed out on your couch. You were reminded of the nagging feeling that he would have to know eventually, you had to tell him some time.

You tried to organise your thoughts as you took out a pan and set it on the stove, doing your best to keep quiet so Jason could continue sleeping. He woke up as you were still mixing the eggs though. You could see him sitting up and stretching from the kitchen. "Hey," you said, your voice soft in case he had some kind of headache. "How are you feeling?" "Sore. What are you making?" "Scrambled eggs. You want some?" "Sure."

You put a couple more eggs in the bowl, mixing them before pouring it into the pan and cooking it. Sprinkling some salt and pepper on each of your plates, you walked over to the couch and sat down next to Jason, handing him his plate. "You never answered my question." Jason said after taking a bite of his food and swallowing it.

"What question?" you asked. Jason set his plate down on the table, turning towards you. "You were working with the Joker. I saw you there in that warehouse. Yet, you helped me. Got me out of that warehouse and then helped me out, even letting me crash on your couch. What's wrong with you? Why would you do all that if you were just any other goon?"

"I work with different people and sabotage their crimes. Some though, I have to just let what happens happen. Nobody suspects the goon who assisted with both successful and unsuccessful crimes. I helped you because I didn't actually want to help Joker." Half truths weren't so bad, right?

He nodded, picking up his plate again and finishing the breakfast. You took both your empty plates to the kitchen and put them in the sink, dreading actually having to do your dishes now that you had time off. You went back to the living room, only to see Jason standing up and grabbing his helmet. "Are you leaving?"

"I can make it back to a safehouse on my own. I appreciate your help and all, but it really wasn't necessary. I would've been fine in the morning." "Well, sorry for trying to help you and not leaving you on an uncomfortable metal roof." He said nothing in response as he zipped up his jacket and walked out of your apartment.

Damn, okay, guess that's what you get for just trying to help a guy out. The question still hangs in your mind, how the hell was Jason just, alive again? Did you miss something? Do people just have the ability to come back now? Sure, a few years back you heard about Superman dying and then coming back, but that guy was an alien! As far as you could tell, Jason was just human.

Shaking your head, you tried your best to shove the thought to the back of your mind and went back to the kitchen. You washed the dishes, drying them before placing them back in their rightful cabinets. You surveyed the food in your refrigerator and pantry, deciding that it was time to go to the grocery store. After stalling for a moment, you grabbed your keys and your wallet and headed out the door.

Finally reaching the front door after walking up your apartment stairs with several grocery bags, you opened it, a smile on your face. Only to find the shadowy figure of Batman in your apartment, again. "You really can't wait outside my door, or tap on my window?" You sighed as you went over to your kitchen and began putting things away.

Ignoring your question, Batman followed you into the kitchen, leaning against your counter as you continued to put your food away. "I noticed that you helped the vigilante that got there before I did. No goon who was there to do a job would've done that," he got closer to you when you turned around to face him, "What are you up to?"

You were quiet as you looked at him, weighing your options as you decided on what to say. "So, I assume you're aware?" "Of?" "I work with the rogues without the real intention of helping them. I sabotage their plans to make sure that they don't win." "And the heists that didn't go wrong?" "I can't just ruin everything all willy-nilly. I have to just let what happens happen so they don't think it's me causing things to go wrong."

You threw the bags away, walking towards the direction of your room, Batman following close behind you. "What happened to the vigilante?" "I helped him with a few wounds and let him spend the night to make sure he didn't have a concussion. He left this morning after breakfast, no idea where he is now. Do you have some kind of connection to him?"

"...I'm not sure." The answer was unexpectedly grim and raw. You decided the topic needed changing. "So, what are you going to do about me?" ".....You may continue with what you do, but if I see that you've taken somebody's life, I'm putting you away. If you get in too much trouble, I'm pulling you out and putting you away. You got that?" "Absolutely."

He walked towards your window again, getting ready to hop out. "Wait!" You yelled, grabbing the batarang out of the drawer and throwing it towards him. He caught it with ease, looking over the blade for a moment. "Your throw needs work." He mumbled, sliding it into a pocket of his utility belt before finally jumping through the window.