Chapter One

As soon as my alarm went off, I sat straight up in my dorm room and remembered that I had plans to hang out with my best friend. I climbed down the ladder of the loft bed and threw back the black curtains, revealing the morning sun.

Before I even had the chance to pick out my clothes for the day, I heard a knock at my door. Still groggy, I made my way to the door and opened it; my pajamas and make-up free face were exposed to none other than my best friend Susanna.

She was dressed in her farmer overalls, and she appeared perkier than I had the energy for. Friendship overrode energy levels in most cases, though, so I stepped aside and let her come into the room.

Susanna gladly accepted the gesture and leaned against the counter as she waited for me to stand across from her. Once I did, she avoided wasting another second and sprung a suggestion onto me: "I was thinking about what we could do today, and I have the perfect idea. What if we went around town and kissed random guys?"

I stared at her in disbelief; no way was she serious. There were times when she chose to be goofy, and I pretended to go along with her ludicrous ideas; today was not one of those days, though.

Waving her idea off, I shook my head at her: "I don't know what world you woke up in this morning, but I'm over here in reality. Once you figure out what that looks like, come back to me because I miss my friend."

Seemingly shaken from the comment, Susanna locked eyes with me and grabbed me by the shoulders. She said, "What ideas do you have that would be better than kissing random guys all day?"

I chuckled at her silliness, "I have lots of ideas for what we could do today, and none of them are even close to kissing random guys."

"Ah, shoot!" she dropped her hands from on top of my shoulders. "So, what grand ideas do you have in mind?"

Relieved to have the sane side of my best friend back, I answered her question: "How would you feel about going shopping with me? I really need to get some more black pants; I'm using the ones I have now way too much."

Susanna easily agreed to go with me: "I would love to go shopping with you. Do you mind if I head back to my room to get my bag, though?"

"Nah, go ahead, girl." I waved, and she hurried out of the room.

After watching Susanna completely exit the room, I closed the door ready to pick out my clothes for the day. I made my way to the closet and scanned the possible outfits I could throw together. Deciding to keep it mostly casual, I only added a purple cardigan to spice up the outfit.

After putting my outfit on and grabbing my purse, I exited my dorm room and found Susanna strolling down the hallway with her small outings backpack. I walked up to her, and the two of us made our way down the elevator.

Once I had driven us to the mall, Susanna and I got out and started walking around. We went into one of the department stores, and I immediately found the pants section.

While I scanned the section for the appropriate color and size, Susanna stood by me until I lost her attention to a guy that had just entered the store.

As I continued looking for the pants I needed, I listened in on Susanna's conversation with the person. She greeted, "Hey, Jackson!"

I changed positions in order to see the interaction. Jackson smiled at her, "Hey, Susanna!"

"How's it going?" she asked.

"Just trying to find a gift for my girlfriend," he answered.

"Oh, cool. What are you thinking about getting her?"