19

I try to get through the rest of the week, waiting to see him. Surprisingly, it isn't miserable. Saturday, I read The Great Gatsby for as long as humanly possible. I do the same Sunday morning until it is time to get ready for the Halloween party.

Ali, Amanda, and I dress up as the scarecrow, the tinman, and the lion from The Wizard of Oz. Amanda used the costumes as an excuse to have a boy-free night, joking that we don't know which man is the wicked witch of the west. She didn't mean it seriously, but she is right. It's impossible to tell what man will betray you.

Anyway, after much back and forth we agreed on the costumes. Ali called dibs on the tinman since a tight silver dress would be the sexiest costume. I asked if I could be the lion, because it's easier to put on a brown dress, a tail and ears than come up with the money to pay for a scarecrow costume that isn't frumpy. Amanda doesn't seem to mind.

Niamh takes the picture again, much earlier in the day since she was going to another board game night with the friends she claims to have. Ali doesn't believe her. Amanda isn't sure. I think she's telling the truth. She isn't half as bad as they make her seem.

We go to a backyard party whose host I don't know. Honestly, I cannot fathom how they know so many people. Ali and Amanda know Melissa though, who greets us at the door. She says she likes my makeup. It's not a smoky eye this time, since that might look silly on a lion. I thank her.

We dance, and we drink, and we actually have a laugh together. It isn't miserable, and they don't fight, and I'm happy that boys aren't involved. Ali goes as far as to turn someone down, and I see the way Amanda beams. We stumble home, giggling, and we debrief. Not just that night, but the night at Vanish. They left shortly after me, but their night seems boring so they ask for all the details about Draco and I tell them about snogging him and passing out. Then, we get ready for bed and go to sleep.

Soon enough it's Monday and I wake up in a panic. It's a consequence of not getting any more intoxicated than tipsy. It sets my day up all wrong. I only barely finish The Great Gatsby before my shift. I'm off kilter, even at work. Graham always works Monday mornings, but he ducked out of the morning shift early so I don't even see him as he leaves. I bide my time until then Tuesday finally comes and I can breathe again.

In the early afternoon, when the flat is empty but for me since all of my roommates are on campus, the door buzzes. I grab my purse and head down. He's waiting for me outside, actually looking into the lobby this time instead of letting all his attention be consumed by the buzzer.

"Inverness is quite walkable," he points out. It's his way of greeting.

"Yes," I agree.

Other than UInverness, everywhere is close enough that we can reasonably walk. Honestly, I've taken more taxis with him than I have in my entire stay in town. He's the kind of man who can afford something so silly though.

"We best be off," he checks his watch, then wrings his hands together.

Now that it is November, the cold is taking over. His peacoat doesn't look like it has pockets, and it's too cold to undo now. My coat may have pockets and a thick lining, but his is nicer, maybe designer.

"To where?" I ask.

He points towards the direction of the river, which is where almost all interesting things are in this town.

"So, you finished the book," I begin as we walk. "What did you think?"

"I wanted to know why you picked it," he points out.