YOU BETRAY ME ALREADY

“Did you not hear what everyone has been saying? The princess retired from the waiting chamber since the morning hours.” Another maid whispered.

They all panicked in shock and used their palms to cover their mouths from shouting. Most of them were known gossipers and was eager to tell their friends outside the palace, what was going on.

“But what could be her reasons?” One of the gossipers asked.

“I heard a lot the princess when I went to the market the other day. I even said she is evil and was a omen to the Royal family.” Another whispered.

“I am not among this gossip. My family will miss me if i shall die and i wish to see my grand children before death.”

The King walked up to Princess Mayah and found her reading a romance novel. Immediately she noticed her father's presence, she hid the back behind her.

“Father, what brings you here? You could have called for me!” She asked but he frowned even more.

“What are you doing here? Why are you not at the visiting chamber?” The King tried hard not to unleash his anger. His face has turn red a little and he bite his lower lip.

“Father, I do not wish to be married off like that. I wish to be in love...” King Beldon dragged Princess Mayah closer and took hold of the novel.

“These books are the cause of your misbehavior! I know what will put an end to it.” King went through the name and frowned even more, “Say goodbye to them!” He yelled at Princess Mayah and started to walk away.

Princess Mayah followed her father up to her chamber.

“Get in there and get out all the novels like this!” King Beldon ordered the guards at the entrance of Princess Mayah's room.

“No father, do not do this! I promise to go back!” Princess Mayah pleaded as she held on to her father's coat but he gave deaf ears to her. Then she noticed, he was  with his crown. He had come as a King and not her father, “Father, I beg you!” She kept pleading but King Beldon just stood still, as he patiently wait for the guards to come out with the novels. He was tired and wished Princess Mayah would understand the pressure.

Princess Mayah ran towards her room to stop the guards inside; King Beldon waved his right hand and just then, two other guards blocked her with their spears, crossed. She tried to pass through but they were stronger. Her books were the only things that kept her mind far from boredom.

“Mayah!” King Beldon yelled in a cold deep tone. It sounded more like a warning than just a call and Princess Mayah stopped. It felt as though cold water was poured on her, and tears rolled down from eyes to her chins. Her father was really angry. He had never call her by her name in a very long time. She looked at him and he did not blink.

The guards came out with about ten of the books and threw it on the floor.

“Burn them!” He commanded and left.

“No, father please!” Princess Mayah begged but just then, it was set ablaze. She grabbed Lily who just walked to the scene, by her hand and ran inside her room. Slamming the door so loud.

“My king, that was harsh. She needs to be checked up on.” Lord Parker said in a whisper and the King turned back to look at Princess Mayah's room door.

“She will be fine!” He replied and began to walk away.

The olfactory hallucination of burning books gave out a malodorous smell. The fire was increasing and the smoke filled the air.