Operation 'Safe Haven'

August 2024
New York
...

Mino and his team which consisted of Jonas, Mark and Maria all headed out fully geared with Combat Hazmat stealth suits to protect them against the radiation.

The radiation in the atmosphere was still relatively high but not nearly as lethal as it'd been two months ago. Even so, if exposed to it for too long could cause serious damage.

The Medical Division had pleaded with Kennedy to wait out the radiation for a few more months for the safety of the teams going out on a mission because by then it would have been perfectly safe for everyone to return to the surface, but he'd been very adamant.

Susan, the Chief Captain of the Medical Division had made sure every soldier was armed with a basic first aid kit as well as a chart on what type of plants to eat and animals to kill, when they could take off their safety masks and where they should and shouldn't drink water.

Along their mission they were expected to send samples of the soil of every location they got to back to the bunker through a special transmission system so they could further test it in their labs.

It would no doubt be a dangerous journey but it was one they had to take.

The other three teams with their captains joined Mino's team. Mino had great rapport with his teammates but he wasn't so confident about the other teams, he guessed it was something they could build in the course of their mission.

"Alright teams, remember your training." Kennedy stood aboveground level facing the four teams going on the suicide mission, fully geared with their Hazmat suit.

"Kill those 'demons' on sight, shoot first, ask questions later. There's still so much we don't know about those monstrosities, but the Investigation Division have confirmed that a shot to their cochlea or a clean cut of the head should kill them."

Mino's hands tightened on his assault rifle.

A shot to the cochlea...
Mino kept that info closely, it was invaluable.

He was responsible for the lives of his team, even though the probability of success for this mission was less that impossible, Mino was still hopeful. He was resolute to complete the mission, he knew casualties were unavoidable.

He wanted to use this chance to find his friends and his mom.

He couldn't accept the possibility that they were all dead. Jake's death had completely ruined him, he didn't think he could go through that pain again. He had long accepted that Jake was gone but it was still sometimes hard to believe.

His hatred for those 'things' knew no bound.

"Your mission is to find a safe heaven for the people you will be leaving behind. A land with good soil for planting, food and water. You have approximately two months to complete your mission. If you do not return within the specified time, we will declare you MIA and send in another squadron."