three | a friend from the past

I didn't even know his first name

I didn't even know his first name. I'd been working with the blue-eyed menace, Mr. Archer, for a week now and I had no idea what his first name was.

Working with him, around him was fine. He didn't bother me as long as he had a cup of coffee at sharp fifteen past nine on his desk with me reading out his schedule for him in the back. Most of my work included sorting out emails, arranging or rearranging his meetings, talking to different clients and searching for restaurants to hold the meetings.

So far, he hadn't taken me to any meeting of his and I'd complied since the less his pretty eyes stayed in my wake, the better. Well, unfortunately, so far, in the past six days that I'd worked here, I'd been late for three days by six, three and eight minutes respectively, consecutively. He'd given me a good scolding for it though.

My phone buzzed in my purse and I whisked it out. The alarm I'd set for five past nine yesterday, after being reprimanded in his office about being punctual for about twenty minutes, went off. Sighing, I minimised the email's window on the computer and set off towards the pantry to make the grumpy old man his coffee.

As I walked passed the aisles, I offered multiple smiles to the other employees who I'd gotten very familiar with in the past few days.

Lily, the pretty receptionist, bristled past me with a nod of acknowledgement with a guy trailing behind her towards Mr. Archer's office. I offered her a nod back and went at my work.

Just as I was stirring Mr. Archer's coffee, my phone vibrated in my hand and I brought it to life almost instantly.

Sure enough it was a text from Lily.

Lils : that was a big client. can you please get a coffee for him while you're at it for Archer?

Me : how does the client like his coffee?

Lils : His name is Bernard Black btw. Milk and too much sugar. man's too sweet and flirts like it's his last day on earth.

Me : TMI. but gotcha.

Lils : thanks, bye.

Now I was stirring Mr. Archer's coffee and brewing Bernard's. The name sounded too familiar to ignore but I figured I'd find out once I gave him his coffee and saw his face.

Balancing one coffee on the tray while also wearing inches long heels was a hard deal as it was but with two coffees now, it was almost impossible. I survived, luckily.

I raptured my knuckles onto Mr. Archer's office door twice, like always, and entered.

"Three minutes." I'd just stepped into his office and the way his husky voice leered through the air had me stopping in my tracks for a second before I regained my composure.

I managed to look above, directly into his eyes, since Bernerd Black's back was to me as he was on the guest chair right across from where Mr. Archer sat, playing with his dangling earring. Jesus fucking Christ. "I was making coffee for our guest here. Sorry that I thought being hospitable would be respectful."