Chapter Eleven

A few days passed, and Austin didn't stop by Sonic Boom a single time during my shifts. To be fair, he was mostly out of town performing, but I still felt like a complete asshole that I treated him how I did, and it caused him to not want to come by his favorite place when I was there. Even Dez was icing me out when he stopped by. Anytime he saw I was working, he would purposely cover his eyes and walk away so he could avoid even looking at me.

I looked over to where Dez was now to see him glaring at me. He huffed before dramatically slapping his hands over his eyes. He tried to walk towards the exit, but tripped over every possible object he could on the way out.

I frowned to myself as I checked my phone. No response to any of the messages I sent him trying to get him to talk to me so I could apologize. Wow, I really was an asshole if this is how Austin felt when I would ignore his messages. I deserved this though. I was so quick to believe the worst of him, just like he said.

"Still no reply?" Ally asked pitifully.

I shook my head no.

"Well, he is busy with traveling and performing for his concerts. Maybe he just hasn't had time to check his phone?" she suggested.

I gave her a small smile. I knew she was trying to make me better and be an optimist, but I knew she didn't even believe her own words.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I responded, trying to give little so the conversation would end.

Ally nodded and walked away to clean up the mess that Dez left behind.

I had to think of something to do to get Austin to forgive me. After he explained everything, I realized that he didn't deserve how I treated him this whole time. I shifted the blame on him, and I was sure it was because I was afraid if I didn't find some way to keep us apart, that I would actually lose him with it being my fault somehow. And look at where that got us.

I was pulled from my moping when Cassidy walked through the doors of Sonic Boom. I stilled as she beelined to me.

"Hey, Hailey..." she started hesitantly.

"Hey, Cassidy," I responded cautiously.

"Can we talk outside really quick?" she asked, gesturing to the door.

I nodded and followed her out, earning a worried look from Ally. Cassidy and I hadn't ever actually talked to each other, so I don't understand why she would want to have an actual talk with me.

She took a deep breath, "Okay, look. I know we never really got off on the right foot, and I can feel the animosity, but I just want to clear the air."

"Okay.." I nodded along, curious of what she was going to say.

"I didn't know there was anything going on between you and Austin when I came back. I was just so quick to jump back in where I had left with him, that I didn't stop to think if that was what he wanted anymore. When Jimmy arranged for us to start performing at different venues together, doing a little tour, I thought this was our chance. But I realize now, that he was really into you. He was just too nice of a guy to let me down."

I continued nodding, feeling like a bobblehead at this point. Austin could be too nice and he clearly hates being the bad guy.

"I'm sorry for kissing him and trying to boot you from the competition. That wasn't very feminist of me. I just want you to know that you don't have to worry about me interfering anymore. I really wish the best for you two."

I was a little shocked when I realized she was being sincere, but then I realized I had no reason to be mad at her if her explanation was true and it was mostly just a big misunderstanding. I would probably do the same if I were in her shoes. I felt guilty for thinking that she was a terrible person when she seemed pretty nice.