第二十八話

17 HOURS UNTIL THE VIRUS ACTIVATES

"We've just picked up Kyoka-chan and Tanizaki-san as per plan," reported Atsushi. His voice rang through the radio earpiece that Fumiko and Rokuzou had on. "We're now away from the Port Mafia headquarters with Yosano-sensei tending Tanizaki-san's wounds."

"I see," the young woman responded.

Then, she heard Tanizaki's voice from the background, "I'm sorry, Ranpo-san, Enchi-san. I failed."

Leaning into her chair, she slowly heaved a sigh; a quiet one which she hoped no being would hear. "That's fine. At least Kyoka-chan came in time to help you get out of there."

"What's the status of the Port Mafia?" Ranpo asked.

To which, Kenji replied, "It seems they're moving the Boss to an underground shelter."

"We can't sneak in there," Kyoka said.

"We'll have to walk in through the front door," concluded Ranpo.

"But Ranpo-san," Atsushi quickly intervened. "We just got word that the President ordered us not to fight the Port Mafia. The President ordered us not to, even though he could die. We should think of another plan to catch the virus user."

Fumiko's eyes widened. 'Yukichi...'

"I already did," Ranpo responded. "The enemy is wily. It's impossible to get out of his carefully prepared trap in time."

"Even for you?"

"Only I can tell it's impossible. That said, this means breaking an order. So it's up to each of you whether you want to take part or not."

"You mean... fight the Port Mafia or not?" concluded Kunikida. "You're telling us to choose right now?"

"That's right," confirmed Ranpo. "There's no time to hesitate. If they find out that the President is in a secure ability space, the Port Mafia will switch to threatening us. They'll take agents' friends, families or anyone important to us hostage, and threaten to kill them one by one if we don't hand over the President. If that happens, we'll have to give in."

It wasn't long before Fumiko dreaded the words uttered by Tanizaki, "I'll do it. In the end, we can't protect anyone if we don't hurt someone."

"Count me in too," chimed Yosano. "I have a little debt to settle with Mori-sensei. And knowing him, I'm sure he'd accept dying like this."

"That person is scary," commented Kyoka. "But if I can use my knowledge of the Port Mafia to help the Agency, I'll go too."

"Even you, Kyoka-chan?" Atsushi muttered with disbelief.

"I don't know what's right or wrong here," remarked Kenji innocently. "But if you're all walking into danger, I'll go with you and keep you safe."

"Kenji-kun!" Atsushi gasped.

And one by one, more and more detectives decided that to save a life, they must forsake the other.

"Kunikida, what will you do?" questioned Ranpo.

"The President ordered us to protect the town's balance and peace," the said man stated in a low voice. "He wants us to protect the townsfolk from Fyodor's destruction."

"Then will you break the rules and go after him?" asked the senior detective.

"But..." All of a sudden, Kunikida broke down, raising his voice as he sobbed, "If I break the rules, more innocent people will die! Just like that girl! If I see another death like that, I'll never recover!" Fumiko would've had some room in her heart to feel sorry for him, truly, after knowing what happened during his investigation. But it would seem that she was in a similar state as him when she knew that there was no point trying to convince her colleagues in changing their minds.