Doctor Norris cast a wary glance at Roderick, then patted Rufus on the right shoulder. "I'll be by in the morning, but send for me if her condition worsens before then."

"I will... thank you."

"My Lords and Lady," he said, inclining his head in a slight bow before leaving and closing the door behind him.

Roderick muttered an expletive and scowled at the fire. "Superstitious old coot," he muttered, wanting to call the man something far worse. "That was completely uncalled for."

"He was only trying to help," Rufus softly said, raking his hands through his hair.

Roderick grunted, folded his arms across his chest, and clenched his eyes shut. The rational part of his brain knew he needed to tread carefully before he said something revealing, but his emotions were spiraling out of control and making it damned difficult.

How was he supposed to stand here, pretending to prop up the fireplace and act no more concerned than a family friend, when every nerve in his body cried out for him to be at Rosalind's bedside?

It was torture.

"I'll see if Graham and Tilcott have finished speaking to the coachmen," Rufus said before pressing a kiss to Elphi's cheek and leaving.

Roderick and Elphi listened to the crackle and pop of the fire for several minutes before Elphi quietly asked, "It's Rosalind, isn't it?"

"Who?" Roderick whispered, trying to keep his tone even despite his hammering heart.

"You know who."

Roderick shook his head and kept his back to her, his gaze focused on the dancing flames, determined to play ignorant until his sister ripped the truth from his lips.

"I don't know how I didn't see it sooner—"

"Elphi," he growled.

"It seems so obvious—"

"Elphi," Roderick barked. Then, he slowly turned and faced her, clenching his hands into tight fists at his sides, "Now is not the time."

She stared at him with eyes full of remorse, then cleared her throat and averted her gaze. "You're right, of course... please, forgive me."

"Stated as fact."

Her eyes snapped to his, "Pardon?"

"As opposed to earlier," Roderick muttered. He walked to the plush green chair near her and sat with a weary sigh, then rested his elbows on his thighs and buried his face in his hands so he wouldn't have to make eye contact. "That's twice tonight you've declared I'm right, though only once was it stated as fact."

They fell into an awkward silence, silently counting the minutes until Rufus returned and trying to forget why they were at Barkston Hall at such a late hour.

The ornate gold clock on the mantel chimed half-past midnight when Rufus, the barrel-chested Sergeant Tilcott, and short but stocky District Superintendent Graham entered.

"Lord Matson, Lady Treadway," Graham said with a slight dip of his head in Elphi's direction. He glanced at Rufus and murmured, "Perhaps your wife would prefer we gentlemen converse in a different room. There are details she may find upsetting."

Rufus looked at Elphi, but before he could say anything, Elphi shook her head. "You may speak plainly. I assure you, I have a strong constitution."

Graham looked at Rufus and Roderick and, at their nods, sighed and folded his hands behind his back. "Very well."

"Please sit," Elphi said, motioning to the empty chairs

"No, thank you; we'll be brief as the hour is late, and I know you've had a trying night." He turned to Tilcott beside him, "Sergeant."

Haunted HeartsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara