"You are beyond breathtaking," Rufus said, his voice full of awe.

Elphi smiled and continued down the staircase as a blush warmed her cheeks.

At the last step, Rufus gathered her close and stole her breath with a passionate kiss that left her wishing they could cancel their plans and stay home.

"How brief of an appearance could we get away with making," Rufus murmured, his voice a husky, low rumble, "without it being unforgivably rude, do you think?"

"If it's the crush I imagine it will be, forty-five minutes ought to suffice."

Rufus groaned, "That's thirty minutes too long."

"We may be able to leave after one dance," she whispered, draping her arms around his neck and pulling him close.

But Roderick chose that exact moment to intrude, reminding her of tonight's secret objective: find Roderick a new woman to love. Preferably one unwed so as not to repeat the predicament he was in already.

So Elphi delivered a chaste peck to her husband's waiting lips, then gave him a gentle nudge in the ribs when a predatory growl escaped him. "Behave yourself," she quietly chuckled.

"I could have sworn I locked the door," he muttered. "Perhaps I'll have a portcullis installed; that would stop him from intruding at the wrong moment."

"Oh, I say, Elphi," Roderick said, a grin curling his lips, "you look stunning in that gown."

"Thank you." Elphi turned to her husband, "We are not installing a portcullis."

"You ought to have a new wardrobe made in that color."

Elphi mumbled a thank you to Rufus as he placed her matching cloak around her shoulders and arched a brow at her brother. "An entire wardrobe in green?"

Roderick shrugged as he opened the door and walked outside toward the waiting carriage; Rufus and Elphi followed. "It's a damned sight better than black or those other dreary colors you've been wearing."

"Since when are blue, orange, or red considered dreary?" She asked before climbing into the carriage.

Roderick settled into his seat and gave her a pointed look. "When they barely resemble any of those colors you mentioned due to an obscene amount of black in their ghastly hues."

Elphi smiled and gripped Rufus's hand as the vehicle rolled into motion. "Perhaps you're right."

Roderick blinked several times. "Pardon?"

"You heard me."

Roderick looked at Rufus, "Did I hear her say I was right?"

"You did."

"There was a perhaps preceding it," Elphi said, holding back a giggle. "I did not state it as fact."

But Roderick ignored her and, with a look of triumph on his face, murmured, "This might be one of the best nights of my life."

Swelling orchestral music reached Rufus, Elphi, and Roderick as their carriage pulled to a stop on the gravel drive of Foxney Manor, then slowly grew to a crescendo as they exited and joined the crowd making their way up the steps.

The imposing grey stone building cast a sinister, spine-tingling presence ablaze as it was with the glow from thousands of oil lamps.

Rufus's gaze traveled from window to window, silently counting the ghostly faces watching the living spectacle below.

"Any sign of Reggie and Rosalind?" Elphi asked, rising on tip-toe.

Rufus hesitated, scanning the crowd. "No,... they must have already made it through."