~ Chapter 18 ~

Over the next couple of weeks, Nicholas had fully recovered and returned to his usual self. Except something seemed different about the Prince. Isabelle noticed. He was happier. Thinking of all the times she had seen him brooding about the castle, only smiling and laughing on rare occasions - rare occassions spent with her.

She had fallen for the Prince for his charms, but most of all, she had fallen for him because he was different to the other men of Athelon. And he certainly wasn't Julius...Nicholas may be a selfish, arrogant, spoilt Prince, but Julius was self centred, self absorbed and self obsessed. Everything Nicholas was not.

Every day after being injured, Belle had visited the Prince, reading to him as he had to her. He would smile and fall asleep and she would run her fingers through his auburn hair and admire his handsome features.

Today he had something special planned for her and Isabelle was curious but none of the staff or her family would tell her what was going on. Instead she spent her day wandering the library. Reading, writing, daydreaming. She passed the time until the Prince entered the room.

"Shall we?" He asked, offering his arm to her.

Belle wrapped her arm in his, and they made their way to the courtyard, where Cogsworth and Lumiere had a carriage waiting for them. They climbed inside and started their journey. Nicholas remained silent the whole trip but he had a small smile on his face as he glanced towards her.

"Are you going to tell me where we are going?" Belle asked.

The Prince just shook his head in response, driving her curiousity up the wall. She wanted to know what the surprise was!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nicholas watched Isabelle when he thought she wasn't looking. Seeing her face full of wonder, he couldn't help but smile at the thought of her seeing the hospital now that the construction was completed. As Cogsworth pulled the horses to a halt, her face scrunched up in confusion in an adorable way.

A crowd of people had gathered in the village, ready for the grand opening of the hospital. He had sent Lumiere and Cogsworth to spread news of the event. The people of Athelon now stood eager to see the new building.

Lumiere opened the door of the carriage, bowing as they exited. Belle took his arm and they made their way through the parting town folk. The crowd cheering at the sight of the Prince and Isabelle together.

When they reached the stone cottage, Belle gasped in surprise, releasing his arm and walking to the building. He already knew she saw the house now a hospital when she ran away. She had told him about what happened after she ran away. But what she didn't know is the hospital is dedicated to her mother. Diana Thorne.

Belle touched the plaque on the side of the stone wall, running her fingers over the golden lettering.

This hospital was built in dedication to Diana Thorne: beloved wife and mother.

He knew she didn't see the sign the night she ran away, and it had gone unnoticed by her eyes. Watching her face light up just now, Nicholas wanted to make that happen for the rest of their lives. Stepping forward, he faced the crowd.

"Can I have your attention please!?" He yelled. The crowd falling silent. "I would like to officially declare the hospital now open!"

He gestured to the stone cottage, Isabelle stood beside him with silent tears. He hoped they were happy tears. Nicholas handed her a sword to cut the red ribbon Lumiere had placed in front.of the building for the occasion. The Advisor insisting it would make the announcement more exciting to the people. Following the man's advice.

Isabelle raised the sword, slicing the ribbon with ease. The crowd cheered and Hicks and Abbey announced they were ready for their first patients. After the speech and the small ceremony - everyone having a small mug of honey ale, bar waitress walking amongst the crowd with trays of the orange liquor - the Prince and Belle returned to the castle.

Cogsworth and Lumiere talked at the front, excited about tomorrow. Inside the carriage, Belle couldn't hold in her excitement and was oblivious to the conversation of the staff members.

"I can't believe you dedicated the hospital to my mother!" She exclaimed. "Thank you!"

She kissed him on the cheek, Nicholas knew he was turning red, but he had grown used to the feeling Belle stirred inside of him. Happiness. The woman made him feel happy for the first time since his parents died.

"It's the least I can do after I ruined your book..." Nicholas admitted.

Belle's eyes looked hurt at the reminder, but she regained her composure. She rested her head against the Prince's chest, the rest of the ride silent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julius stood at the back of the crowd, watching the Prince and Isabelle announce the opening of the hospital. Seeing the pair together and how she smiled and looked at the Prince made him sick. He could finally admit to himself that she was not the one for him.

He had turned into a crazy man for love... A love that wasn't shown in return. Silently he said a final goodbye to the woman he had loved as he turned away, walking home. Julius would move on from Isabelle Thorne.

Looking back at the crowd, he glanced at the other women of Athelon. None were as naturally beautiful as Belle, but one of them would make him a fine wife. He just had to wait for the right woman to find him.

Julius also decided to not drink as much as ale as he had been. Swearing to not drink his sorrows away next time a woman broke his heart. He wanted to be a better man, and find a woman who would appreciate his efforts.

Julius lounged in his home, picturing a house full of laughter and the pitter patter of little feet running around the large house. He drifted to sleep dreaming about a day when he would have a family of his own.