~ Chapter 4 ~

Isabelle stumbled out of the tavern with the guidance of the Prince, fresh air cool against her warm face. She thought her meeting with Nicholas was a one time wonder, seeing him again was the same as the first time. She felt her heart skip a beat at the sight of him.

She was embarrassed by her current state but she had just had the most fun in her whole life. Who knew reading to a crowd while drunk could be fun. Her head started to feel light and fuzzy from the liquor. She managed to keep the contents of the stew in her stomach, the nausea had settled once they were outside.

"They loved you in there." Nicholas said.

She leant against the wall, smiling.

"I loved every moment of it!" She admitted.

Belle had always been an obedient child, never doing anything to get into trouble like her older sisters. She always read about adventures, never having an adventure of her own. The only exception had been when they moved here away from the city. Up until now.

Nicholas stared at her silently, his blue eyes looking directly into her soul.

"What is it?" Belle asked.

"You probably hear it all the time but you are quite beautiful." Nicholas admitted, his cheeks turning red.

The Prince thought she was beautiful? His words made her heart beat slightly faster. Unlike Julius, who made her skin crawl uncomfortably. It wasn't that she didn't find Julius attractive, he was, he was just not the man for her.

"Can I walk you home?" He asked.

Walk her home? Belle wasn't ready to go home just yet, in case Julius was waiting for her there with another marriage proposal or a band or a million flowers.

"Why don't we go for a walk instead?" She suggested, the alcohol making her brave. Daring to ask the Prince.

He held out his arm, Isabelle intertwined her arm with his, and he leads them both through the town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julius felt heartbroken...

Isabelle left him standing outside the stone cottage, the town folk who had witnessed his embarrassment soon spreading the news around the village. Julius would become the laughing stock of the town because of Belle's rejection. Had he not done everything to please her? Had he not showered her with gifts and compliments? What had he done wrong?

He made his way to the kingdom, and into the tavern, ordering ale to drink his misery away. The place was packed with rowdy people - dancing on tables, singing or drinking - or all three. As he watched the show, he couldn't help but think of Isabelle. Her brown eyes, her blue dress, she was beautiful beyond comparison. No other woman would have his heart, as she does.

A young woman came towards Julius, sitting on his lap and wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Forget about Isabelle and marry me Julius!" She cooed in his ear, clearly drunk.

Pressing her lips against his own, forcing her tongue into his mouth. The woman took Julius by surprise. He slid her off his lap and onto the floor with a loud thud. The woman laughed, not taking his rejection to heart.

The blonde looked nothing like his Belle, and her breathe tasted of stew and ale. He wondered what Isabelle's lips would feel and taste like if he kissed her...

A sharp pang of pain in his chest, reminded him of his own rejection. Ordering another drink, hoping he could consume enough ale to forget about his love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Prince was a very interesting man, telling Isabelle stories of the kingdom and former rulers. Going quiet when he spoke of his parents. One thing she liked about Nicholas - he was refreshing and did not love his own reflection like Julius.

Julius...

Belle had left him outside of her house with his heart in his hand. She hoped he wouldn't take it to heart and they could be friends instead. Any woman would be lucky to have Julius as a husband. Just that woman wasn't her. She wished he would understand.

The bubbly feeling from the ale faded, Belle able to walk on her own without needing the Prince for support.

As they walked side by side through the kingdom, she snuck small glances of Nicholas. He was a beautiful creature. His eyes, his most stunning feature. Belle could get lost in those eyes like one of her books.

"Is it lonely living at the castle?" She asked.

Thinking of the Prince, alone with only the staff as his companions. He must be lonely after his parents deaths.

"It can be...Cogsworth, Lumiere and the others are the only family I have left." Nicholas said. "The castle can get lonely even with their presence."

She was right. He was lonely. Ruling a whole kingdom on his own at a young age, wouldn't be an easy task for the Prince.

Nicholas looked as if he were about to say more, but stopped dead in his tracks when they reach town square. Belle looked in the same direction spotting the dark, smoke clouds rising into the sky from the village.

"Papa..." She said under her breath.

"Isabelle! Wait!" The Prince called after her.

Without thinking, Isabelle was running towards the village and the fire, thinking of her sick father for the first time that day. Forgetting she just left Nicholas standing in the town square without an explanation. Just like she had with Julius.

She didn't stop, holding the skirt of her dress higher and the book tighter in her arm as she ran. Stupid dress. Belle thought as kept running.