Ch9 - Kevin Makes an Entrance!

Start from the beginning

"A sleepover...?" OJ blinks.

"Yes!" Sam turns back around and pulls off with the green light. "It'd be the perfect thing to help you two catch up!"

"That sounds fun, actually!" Paige beams, clapping. "Don't you agree, OJ?"

OJ's face is a little red and he's looking away from Paige. "I-indeed," he mumbles. "Fun indeed."

Oh no, had the sudden plan overwhelmed him? Paige knew OJ was a little sensitive to certain things like he was, like loud and sudden noises, the way some food felt like to eat or tasted, and the feeling of wet socks. But he also had some other things that would bother him, like things happening that he didn't plan for.

"If it's too sudden for you, I don't have to come," Paige says softly, hand hovering over OJ's. He doesn't want to touch, just in case that would also overwhelm him, but OJ surprises him by grabbing a hold of his hand and squeezing lightly.

"It's alright, really," he assures. "Just... caught me off guard, is all. Honest."

Paige smiles. "Then I guess I'll have to tell Mom I'm busy on Sunday!"

+++

Sam and OJ wave as they drop Paige off, a little bit earlier than his actual stop. He wanted to visit his Aunt Carmen before heading home.

"See you on Sunday, then?" OJ asks.

"Yep!" Paige nods. "Text me your address."

"Oh, no, no, no!" Sam chuckles. "I'll be the one coming to get you, of course!"

"I-I'm sure I can get there by bus!" Paige gasps. "Really, it's okay!"

"Nooo~!" Sam lavishes, falling over the steering wheel. "Let me have an excuse to drive this baby around more, please~?"

OJ sighs, but he's got a smile on his face. "You might as well say yes."

Paige laughs earnestly. "Okay, okay! You can come pick me up. Text me when you're on your way?"

"Certainly," OJ nods before waving again. "See you then!"

"See you!"

And with that, they drive off.

Paige walks up to the front door of the Aguja household and rings the bell. Before long, the door opens to show his aunt.

"¡Mija!" he crushes the teen in a tight hug, peppering kisses on his face. "I'm so happy you're alright!"

"Aunt Carmen," Paige laughs weakly, "I just hung out with one of our friends for a bit."

"Yes, but you didn't tell us!" Carmen cries. "You know how it is here in Queens!"

"I know, I know," Paige mumbles. "But really, I'm okay." He yawns as Carmen sets him back down. "I'm really tired, though. I just came to let you know I was home."

"How did you get here?" Carmen asks.

"OJ and his mom Sam dropped me off."

"Oh, how nice of them," Carmen smiles. "Well, it's good to know you've got sweet friends." He pats Paige on the head. "Go get some rest, sweetie. Talk to you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay!" He smiles softly. "Goodnight, Aunt Carmen."

"Goodnight Paige!" With that, he closes the door.

Time to go home.

+++

Paige is nodding off when there's a knock on his door.

"Sweetie? You still up?" Quinn asks through the door.

He blinks awake. He had gotten home a while ago and done everything he needed to get ready for bed. He just had to finish his homework... but it seems his tiredness caught up with him.