~ Chapter 15 ~

What had he done?

The Prince stood staring at the embers of the fire, frozen by the horror of his actions. He had just burnt the only item Belle had of her mother's...A book, she treasured and loved above all others and he had destroyed it in a matter of seconds.

What had he done?

Nicholas ran out of the room, chasing after Isabelle. He raced to the East Wing only finding Delphine and Richard in the chambers. Startling them both as he ran in and out of the room. The pair knowing something was wrong instantly.

He grew frantic, running a hand through his hair as he tried to think of where she would hide from him. Checking the entire castle until he found Mrs Potts staring out the window leading to the courtyard.

"Where is she!?" He panted, out of breath.

Mrs Potts looked at him with a somber expression, not meeting his eyes when she spoke.

"She is gone my Prince..."

Nicholas felt the pang in his chest, not understanding the feeling. Only knowing without Belle in his life, the pit of darkness inside him would grow. She was the only one who could keeps the darkness away and show him the light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isabelle ran, and didn't stop until she reached the village, out of breath and shaking uncontrollably. She walked through the town, preoccupied with her thoughts.

Nicholas had destroyed her book...The one thing Belle carried with her at all times and treasured with all her heart. The book was gone.

The sight of it burning had broke her heart, the leather cover melting to nothing. She had seen red, slapping the Prince. She felt ashamed of herself. She had never slapped anyone until that moment.

Not even Julius who she could of slapped a million times. No, Belle was not that type of person. Nicholas had brought out a rage in her which she did not like. She needed to get away from him.

Walking passed the familiar tavern, she could hear the rowdy voices of men and music from the band playing inside. Continuing on her way towards her home, the stone cottage.

Someone grabbed Belle's shoulder, pushing her into the wall of the tavern. The man stood over her, his breath smelling of alcohol and stew. A cruel smile twisted on his lips and an evil glint in his eyes.

Julius...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julius had been staring out the window of the tavern, absentmindedly, when he had seen her - Isabelle. He had not seen her around the village in months and now she had the nerve to make an appearance?

He stumbled out of the tavern, grabbing her by the shoulders, not meaning to push her against the wall as he stumbled forward in his drunken state.

"Isabelle Thorne... It's good to see you!" He spoke the words as charmingly as he could. "You look beautiful as always!"

Belle looked at him, tears running down her heart shaped face, she was afraid. A look he knew all too well and seen multiple times in the eyes of the deer he killed regularly on hunting trips.

"Leave me alone Julius!" She sobbed, trembling under his arm.

"All I wanted was for you to marry me!" He rambled. "All I wanted was you Isabelle!"

She shoved him away from her as hard as she could, putting distance between them.

"I will never marry you Julius! For my heart belongs to another!" Belle shouted.

This news was like a slap to the face for Julius, only enraging him more.

"You love another?" Julius walked towards Isabelle."Who is this lover of yours? Who do I have to fight for your heart?"

Isabelle retreated towards the village, leaving him standing alone and furious. He was too drunk to chase after her without falling on his face.

Who could possibly have Belle's heart if it wasn't him?  He pondered as he returned to the tavern. Planning to eliminate the rival and be the only man who has Isabelle's heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Belle stood in front of the stone cottage, looking at the newly constructed building. The once burnt down house was now restored and unrecognisable.

She walked inside, seeing the place has been turned into a hospital. The Prince never saying anything about this to her. She thought the idea was generous of Nicholas. Knowing he could be a selfish man, but this was something selfless.

Forgetting about her book, his moods, the brooding. She seen the man for who he really was. Good. Prince Nicholas could be a better person if he chose to be. So why did he slam his walls down every time she got too close? Isabelle needed to break his walls down for good. Only then would he be the Prince his parents had wanted him to be.

Making her way back to the castle, she avoided walking passed the tavern, not wanting to see Julius again.

She hoped her rejection was clear this time. She did not want to marry Julius. Her heart belonged to Nicholas. But she needed to know if he felt the same.
Walking back towards the castle, Isabelle thought about all the times Nicholas had read to her, how many times she had kissed him, how many dinners they have shared together.

Could she forgive him and tame the beast of a Prince? Or would he be her downfall? She didn't think she could handle it if he ever broke her heart.

As soon as she returned, she would find Nicholas and confront him. She would ask him then and there on the spot about his feelings for her. She needed to know the truth because if he did not love her, then why should she stay at the castle?