[11]

To say things were awkward was an understatement

  To say things were awkward was an understatement. After the kiss Steve had completely forgot they were going to go inside his house, instead he started the car back up and headed toward Erin's house. He was stuck arguing with himself as he drove, 'I'm not gay! I like girls! I love Nancy! Oh god. Nancy' 

  The kiss was amazing, he felt like it was supposed to happen a long time ago, like he had waited his whole life for it. It made no sense. He had never felt attracted to Erin in that way. Sure his heart beat rapidly any time they touched and butterflies flew in his stomach any time the boy laughed but that was nothing more than companionship right? He had never felt that way about anyone else before. When it came to Nancy there were no feelings like that. He found himself drawn to her for her friendship, wisdom, and caring nature. She didn't make him feel giddy and nervous like Erin did.

  Speaking of Erin, the boy had been eerily silent, tapping the floor of the car with his foot. Steve sighed, not knowing what to say. On one hand he loved their kiss, he wanted to do it again but on the other hand he wasn't gay. He loved Nancy and that was that.

"Listen-" Steve started only to be cut off by the younger boy.

  "No. I get it. I'm sorry. I fucked up" he mumbled not meeting Steve's eyes as they parked outside the Henderson household.

"No that's not it- I'm not... I'm not gay!" Steve whispered feeling more like he was trying to convince himself. "You're amazing Rin! I just- I just can't!"

Erin looked at the boy with a mixture of confusion and heartbreak. "You just can't?" He asked with wide eyes.

"I just can't" Steve whispered closing his eyes as a sense of dread filled him as the next words escaped his lips. The same lips that had just experienced the most meaningful kiss he had ever received. "I think we should put some distance between each other for a while. Let the tension die down"

Erin felt his heart shatter into pieces. Tears formed in his eyes as he reached for the door handle "Maybe that's best. Thanks for the ride Harrington"

  Steve reached for the boy as he jumped out of the car and slammed the door, mentally cursing himself as Erin ran into the house. He groaned tugging at his hair in frustration "What the fuck is wrong with me?"

***

  Erin couldn't get Steve's face out of his mind. The terrified look on his face as they broke away from the kiss. He was such an idiot. How could he think someone like Steve would like men? Even if he did why would he like Erin of all people?

  The boy laid on his bed staring at the ceiling, wishing his mattress would swallow him whole, spacing out until there was a soft knock on his bedroom door.

  "Rin?" Dustin called pushing the door open. "Mom said to come get you for dinner. She's gotta talk to us about something"

  "Thanks" he nodded, not breaking his gaze from the ceiling. Dustin furrowed his brows, pushing the door open the rest of the way, carefully stepping through the messy room and sitting next to his older brother. "What's wrong? I haven't seen you like this since.. well actually I've never seen you like this"