𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

"And that's more important than love? True love?" you have the courage to ask, giving her a chance to finally be a mother for the last time.

She frowns and grips your chin, "This world will chew you up and spit you out like trash with that mentality. Would you rather be crying with diamonds on your wrist or in a one-bedroom apartment?" she asks as if it's obvious like her boob job.

You purse your lips for a few seconds to hold back your tongue. No matter how much you disagreed with your mamma, you never wanted to snap at her. Not when you've already come this far.

"Right," you say, smiling faintly as if you understood the messed-up logic now. You closed your eyes as she did the finishing touch of spraying perfume on your neck and wrist. Your mamma admired the white dress you wore and you could've sworn to see a little envy as well. The dress was similar to the one you wore yesterday and the fabric was making your skin itchy. "Go make sure Papà is ready, I'll be down there," you say and watch her leave the room, saying your goodbyes.

You hadn't seen your papà since the dinner and he hadn't even knocked on your door once to explain further what this business was. He just wanted you to follow him blind off a cliff. Not speaking to him was the best way to go as messed up as it was.

The twins had already given you their goodbyes in the morning since they knew once news broke, they would be the first questioned under the microscope held by your parents. They promised to support you from afar which made you a little relieved that you could trust them.

Dodging the many maids, you make it to the side exit. Your breathing was irregular from the adrenaline starting to pump as this situation was becoming more real and real. You stayed in the doorway for a second, just listening to the chaotic house once more and wishing you could stay no matter how much hate bled through the walls. It was once happy.

It wasn't until you heard your name being called multiple times that you snapped out of your nostalgic daze and out into the world. The sky was gloomy which fitted for the funeral of your old life and the chill in the air made you wish you had brought a sweater.

You traveled light since that was the safest route to go and you only brought your phone for contacting your sisters. Four miles into your five-mile journey, you hear heavy footsteps behind you, attempting to catch up to you in a quick manner. Your heart raced as you picked up the pace.

When overhearing the guards relay your location to others via walkie-talkie, you dropped everything and ran as fast as you could, you would be outnumbered in no time. The heels you wore only slowed you down which resulted in your tossing them to the side without a care.

You continue to run barefoot on the pavement and that's when you see it, the bridge over the river where the two cities meet.

Freedom.

Your lungs were on fire and your legs begged you to stop but all you could hear was the yelling and clinks of guns behind you like a predator chasing their prey. You were utterly helpless and getting caught on your papà's land sounded even worse than the Akuma.

At the city line, you saw the shadow of a tall figure, a man you assumed even though you had yet to see their face. As you got closer to the finish line you could see the man clearer, he was staring at you with no intention of helping you. The man had prominent cheekbones, clean blonde hair, and brows that furrowed at the dirty sight of you.

"I need help." you could barely breathe out in one go, feeling your body begin to slow down as the adrenaline was slowing down. "Please," you added, afraid to see how close the guards were behind you.

The stranger from the other side raises as offering hand, "I can't help until you cross the line." he says loud enough for you to hear, "Run." is all he says before you pick up the pace again.