Twenty-Two

(Author Note: If you click on the image above it's how I imagine Angel to look at this point in the story. Obviously very waif-like, but don't worry- she's going to turn out a badass.)

*

"Alright gang", Tony announced. "Operation Flightless Bird is now underway. What the hell are we doing".

"I'm pretty sure Angel flies, Stark", Nat snorted. "But, uh- I have no idea".

Bruce groaned and rested his head on the table. "We're in some deep shit guys. Fury's been hounding us for the full debriefing of Sunday's mission and why we didn't return with vibranium. And we've got a teen with extreme trauma in the MedBay waiting for her memory to come back. An enhanced teen, might I add- with freaking wings".

"Don't forget the crispy asgardian god bunking next door, too".

"Jesus, Tony", Steve exclaimed in dismay.

"We'll save him for later. What can we do now, though, Bruce?", Nat prodded.

"There's not much we can do to help Angel until she's completely weaned off the medicines. I need to get the chip out of her neck but I'm going to wait until afterwards. Pepper-", Bruce asked pointedly, "...could you find a surgical tech in the meantime to assist? One who'd be willing to sign a hefty NDA, obviously".

She nodded and made a note on her Starkpad.

"And we also need some kind of therapist, uh- she's kinda messed up after everything".

"Isn't Sam some kind of shrink?", Tony asked.

Bucky shook his head. "He just leads the VA support groups. Not really a one-on-one guy".

"Got it. When do he and Vision get back anyways from the Vegas Op? Thursday?".

"Not sure", Nat frowned. "-Missed their check-in yesterday. We're hoping they're just having to lay low for now".

"I'll keep an eye on it. If they don't report tonight, I'm going in", Steve said.

Bucky perked up. "I'll go with you".

"No", Bruce disagreed, shaking his head. "When Angel starts going through withdrawals and memory reconnaissance, I want you here. I think you could help".

The soldier shifted, shooting an uneasy glance at Tony.

Tony merely grunted, taking a swig out of whatever was in his glass.

"It's, uh, not like I dealt with that too well in the first place", he murmured.

Steve placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. "You're the only one who's got experience with this. Maybe you'd be able to guide her through it- do better than you did".

Bucky chuckled darkly, fiddling with his metal fingers. "That won't be too hard to beat".

"Then I guess you're set", Steve grinned. His gaze then shifted to Natasha- down to her covered wrists- and his face fell.

"There's another thing", Steve added hesitantly. "Angel... is in possession of powers she may not be aware of. Some kind of enhanced strength. Possibile enhanced agility as well".

"Lovely", Tony muttered. "What are we talking? Hulk stuff or classic super-serum?".

Nat then shared what had happened- showing her bruises- when Angel had woken up and how she had acted in the bunker.

"She doesn't show any signs of extra abilities while fully conscious. I'm not sure if she even knows their full extent", she said.

"I'm betting there's some kind of verbal or mental lock in her brain- kinda like Barnes here", Tony speculated.