Twenty-One

The Captain sighed, following Natasha and Bruce as they left Loki's room. The three had been instructed to check on the god the morning after his trial, but Loki had been unwilling to make conversation. Steve turned to Nat to inquire about their next move but then stopped.

He watched as she pulled the door shut and frowned, catching her hand to examine the small marks that circled her wrist.

"What happened".

"Rogers, it's nothing. Don't think I can handle a couple of tiny bruises?".

"Let me see", Bruce demanded.

"Those are fingerprints".

Nat pried her hand away, rubbing at the marks.

"It was an accident. Angel freaked out a bit".

"She did that?", he asked, doubtful. "When?".

"This morning. Something happened, her eyes turned black, and she suddenly had this... incredible strength. Not as strong as Peter's, or yours, Steve, but much stronger than what she should be capable of. I don't know what happened, but as soon as her eyes cleared up and she came back to consciousness- she was herself again".

Bruce sighed, rubbing his temples. "God, there's so much that doesn't make sense about this girl. Stuff I don't understand, and stuff don't like".

Steve agreed. "I'm calling a meeting today. Lunchtime. Sound good?".

Nat and Bruce nodded.

"I'll let Tony know", the doctor said. "See you then".

*

Steve stared worryingly at Nat as they descended to the kitchen.

"Are your wrists ok? Do they hurt at all?".

The red-headed assassin snorted incredulously.

"Steve, you've got to be kidding. It's a couple of bruises. You insult me-", she snorted, rolling her eyes.

"But she could have really hurt you. We don't know what Angel's capable of when she's not in control of her actions".

"It was an accident. I don't really care-".

"But I do", the Captain blurted abruptly. "Someone has to".

Nat slowly looked up at him. The man's gaze was fixed on her, tight with concern as he refused to break eye contact.

"I'm fine", she reassured lowly.

Steve swallowed, looking away as Friday announced they had reached the main living floor. Always the gentleman he let Nat leave the elevator first.

"How about we get something to eat besides coffee, Rogers", she grinned, following the suspicious scent of burning toast. And while she tugged her sleeves down to cover the marks, she had to fight the urge to look back at the man behind her.

*

Angel didn't want to seem ungrateful, but when Bucky walked in on them eating breakfast holding a canvas bag of fresh fruit, and gave her this fuzzy, brown... ball - she had a few reservations.

"Uh", she said, turning the object over in her hand. "What is this? Do- do I eat it?".

The soldier grinned.

"It's a kiwi. You don't eat the outside. Here-", he explained, taking the fruit from her and pulling out a small knife from his pocket. He sliced it in half to reveal a juicy, green middle and handed her a spoon.

"The easiest way to eat it is to just dig out the inside. Doesn't make as much as a mess".

"Oh, thank you". She hesitantly scooped some out and looked at it on her spoon. Why in the world was it bright green? It was great though, she decided, as she tasted it and smiled. It was sweet, tart, and cold. Really cold, actually.