We round a corner. I shoot my arm out, catching Avery's sleeve. She stumbles back, her eyes doused in fury. I focus a glare at her. She stops.

Avery raises her sword. It comes to a rest alongside her leg as Milo steps down from the sky. He shakes out his wings.

'It's the next building over,' I say. Milo nods. 'Go in through the lower door.'

'Are there guards?' Avery asks. Milo peers around the corner. He raises two fingers. Avery grimaces but nods. 'I got the guards. Bastet, help me with your stars. Milo go in and take down anyone who gets in your way.'

'You say that like I'm not already planning on it.' Milo cracks his fingers, his wings flat to his back. I swallow, my lips pressed hard. I have to get my heart under control. How can I tell Avery I don't have my stars? I can't help. I don't have anything to help with.

Avery and Milo exchange a nod. Milo swoops around the corner, drawing his wings back. He sweeps them forward in a snap. His wings wrap around his face and body. Groans sound from the thudding of bodies against stone. Milo pants, determination seared onto his face.

"Come on!" Avery hisses, dragging me by my wrist. She holds her sword ready as we round the corner.

The sun blazes over the building as Avery launches herself at a guard. Milo runs towards the stairs down to the metal door I saw Quarry get dragged to. He starts to yank at the handle, his hands fumbling over the lock.

I stand, my heart in my throat, Milo winces as he plucks a feather off his wings. He shoves the tip into the lock, jamming it until it clicks. Avery growls from the wall, her sword's edge angles at a guard's throat.

"BASTET!" She hisses. I stumble as I run up to the other guard. I grit my teeth as I sweep underneath the guard's legs. They fall back, their head hitting the ground with a thump.

"Sorry," I mumble as I take my hands in a fist and smash the guard's nose. They wail, hands flying outward to grab onto me. I throw myself aside, shaking my fists. Avery yells again. I run up to her, my hand meeting her guard's throat. They choke, hands flying to their neck as Avery knocks them down with the pommel of her sword.

Avery huffs, sheathing her sword on her back. She leans heavy on a leg as she turns to me. Her eyebrows are furrowed.

"Where are your stars?" She asks, waving a hand. Sweat drips into her eye. I chuckle, my face obviously betraying me. God I wish I was better at hiding whatever I am feeling.

"Forgot to use them," I lie. Avery scoffs, rolling her eyes as she shakes out her arms.

"Come on, let's go," She sighs, grabbing my arm. She drags me down the stairs. The door swung open, Milo long gone. Avery presses her lips together as she hums. "Let's hope he found Quarry." I nod.

We step into the building. A long, starch-white hall stretches in front of us. Gleaming tiles are perfectly clean as we start to walk. Every few paces is a door, locked and bolted.

Avery snaps her head up as voices yell from down the hall. We exchange a look before we both take off, our feet pounding. My feet skid to a stop as we pass a wide open door.

"QUARRY!" Avery gasps. She pushes me aside, rushing in through the door. I fall inside. The room is large, a panel of buttons and skewed papers littered across a table. Opposite of the table is a glass cell. There's no windows in the room. Only a bed, toilet and discarded tray of food sit in the cell. Quarry presses against the glass, Milo across from him.

Harsh white light gleams against the glass.

"BREAK IT!" Avery yells, throwing herself against the glass. Milo shakes his head. Tears stain his cheeks, her mouth quivering as he presses his hand against the glass. Quarry kneels on the other side, his hand against Milo's.