Chapter 20

"You're speaking now, aren't you?" You deadpan.
"I can't not say anything about this."
"Well, you did a fine job at that earlier." You can't help the dig.
"Don't be immature, dear, it doesn't suit you." She frowns.
You laugh at her.
"What could you possibly say now?" You turn to look at her properly, drying off your hands and looking her square on.
She shuffles slightly uncomfortably.
"I'm sorry."
You process the information for a second.
"Apology accepted." You purse your lips and turn back to your task.
"And that-" she stops you with her words. "I..."
You wait. "I want to tell you about me."
"All due respect Regina, I don't think this is going to help the-"
"Just let me, please. I don't want this to be any harder than it already is." She steps forward again. "...Once Henry has gone to bed."
You eye her up for a minute, keeping your walls high.
"Okay." You were never going to deny this woman anything, realistically.
She smiles an uncomfortable smile, as if it's something she's dreading.
You want to reassure her but you can't.
Not right now.

"Henry, it's bedtime." Regina gently ushers the young man up from the couch.
You spent the last half an hour watching whatever cartoon he had on, not paying attention and just thinking about whatever Regina could say.
He unwillingly gets up and turns to you.
"Will you take me?" He grins.
"Oh." You look at Regina and she smiles. "Sure."
He jumps up and hugs his mom immediately.
"Goodnight, Mom." He mutters into her dress.
"Goodnight, Henry." She strokes his hair gently.

"Can you read to me?" He clambers into his bed.
"Not tonight, Henry. I'm sorry." You sit on the edge. "I have to talk to your Mom."
"You're mad at her, aren't you?" He states simply as he lays down.
You stiffen.
"Why would you say that, kid?" You lie down next to him, watching him carefully.
"I can tell." He shrugs casually. "Mom seems sad."
Your heart breaks.
"You think?" You stroke his hair gently as he snuggles under.
"Mhm." He nods. "Once you break the curse you'll understand."
"I'll understand?" You question.
"Yep." He turns over and with that; you leave him to sleep.

"That was quick." Regina almost jumps as she sees you emerge in the kitchen doorway.
"Yeah." You sigh. "He was pretty wiped out."
"Did he take much convincing?" She begins cleaning the surfaces briefly.
"Nope."
"You're telling me he just got into bed? No conversation?" She raises a suspicious eyebrow.
"He asked me if I was mad at you." You blurt.
She stops.
"Oh."
"And he said he thought you were sad."
"He did?" She puts her things away silently. "Well, he's always been overly perceptive, that boy." She shakes her head as she gets another wine bottle out. "Another?" She asks.
"Yes, please." You answer. "I'll walk home."
"You don't have to." She counters. "Our guest room is always welcome to you."
"Thanks, Regina, but... I don't really think that's appropriate." You bristle, sipping your wine.
"Of course." She looks disappointed. "And thank you, again, for agreeing to come to dinner."
"You don't have to thank me." You give a half smile.
"I do." She argues. "I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier. I was caught off guard."
"I didn't realise it was so hard for you." You sensitively respond.
"I try to show it in the ways I don't have to say it."
"But why?" You place your hand on top of hers. "Who made you feel like you can't be vulnerable?"
She exhales heavily.
"Who hasn't?" She laughs with no humour.
"Regina." You put your wine down and turn your full attention to her. "I will never take it for granted. If I could physically hold your heart and take care of it to show you, I would."
She smiles an emotional smile at that.
The brunette puts down her own drink and holds your face in her hands.
"I'm sorry for hurting you, it's the last thing I want." You turn your head slightly and kiss the palm of her hand gently. "I love you." She releases her words as if they've been held like a breath.
You intake breath sharply, astounded by the phrase.
Before anyone can think properly, you lean forward and connect your lips with hers, giving her all the courage she needed in that moment.
A sharp surge rips through you and you feel the world become hazy for a moment.
You step back from each other, blinking away the fuzzy memories in your mind.
Then it floods back like you've woken up from a vivid dream.
The first time around.
Falling for Regina once.
Looking up from Henry's milkshake and seeing her eyes on you.
The note you wrote her.
Taking Henry to the park with her.
Finding the forest lake that you've been to with her before.
Babysitting Henry and making pasta on the stove.
Drunken evenings in the very kitchen you're in now.
The enchanted forest.
The cave.
True love.
Glimpses of times spent in Regina's bedroom.
Maleficent and Cruella.
Gold's curse.
The Evil Queen.
Regina leaving you out of her curse...
And somehow you found her again.
You loved her again.
Every time.

The Other Swan Sister: The Sequel On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara