2 - Never say that about yourself again

The usual workday stress was building up again. You looked down at the pile of reports in front of you that seemed to grow as the day crept on. If you'd known how lazy the deputies were with their paperwork, you probably wouldn't have taken this job. It'd only been a couple of months but the pressure was almost becoming too much. Almost.

There was one thing that kept you going. One thing that got you through the huge stack of files placed on your desk every morning. One tall, dark, handsome thing: Sheriff Lee Bodecker.

You knew it was wrong to have an affair with your boss, especially your recently divorced, significantly older boss, but you couldn't help it. One cold night, both of you snowed in the station, only each other's body heat to keep you warm. Well, one thing led to another and now you were counting down the minutes until you could make an excuse to enter his office.

Placing down the report you'd completed, you peered your head into the deputies' desk area. There were only a few of them left in there. Some scribbled down notes as they took phone calls. A couple were discussing the raid from last night. One was asleep in his chair. This was perfect. The rest must have gone out on patrol.

You quietly stood from your seat and stepped towards the break room. It wasn't necessarily in your job description to make coffee but you knew Lee hardly got any time to leave his office, let alone have a break. You poured two mugs and placed them onto a tray, along with the jug of milk and the pot of sugar. Lee would always joke that you were trying to sweeten him up, but he'd still have two sugars even if you weren't making the coffee for him.

The thing you two had was complicated. You hoped it was more than just hooking up. You were falling in love with him, but you couldn't admit that. Not to yourself and certainly not to him. Maybe you were just a way of blowing off steam whilst he was at work. You knew he had a reputation for visiting Tecumseh, which you'd heard was not just a bar but also a brothel. What if you were just another whore to him?

Self-doubt swam through your mind until tears began forming in your eyes. No. You needed to stop this. He couldn't see you this way. Even if you were just another person to fuck, at least he chose to be with you. A tear ran down your cheek but you brushed it aside and grabbed the tray.

Once again, you glanced over to the deputies, double checking that no one would notice you. It was fine. Everything was going to be fine. You willed your legs to move but they remained frozen. What if he was fucking other people? What if he stopped by the bar after he was done with you? What if he got bored and moved on to someone else? The fear of rejection was too much.

You emptied the mugs into the sink and moved back to your desk. Those reports weren't going to write themselves.

**********

After hours of stolen vehicles, shoplifting and a few drug busts, you'd finally finished all of last week's reports. It was nearing eight pm as you gathered your things and headed for the door. Everyone seemed to have left already - everyone except him.

The light in his office was still on and you'd have to walk past his window to leave the building. You smiled at the thought. It was almost the exact situation as when you got together. Except for the lack of snow and your anger with him. Wait. Why were you angry with him? He hadn't done anything wrong yet. And it's not like you were exclusive. Were you exclusive? You'd never spoken about what your relationship was. Or if it was anything.

Without giving it another thought, you pushed your way through his office door. His jacket was slung over the back of his chair as he hunched over a pile of paperwork. He looked up at you with tired eyes.

"Hey, sweetheart," a wave of calmness washed over him as he smiled at you, "I missed you today. You didn't come and see me."

"You don't come and see me," you mumbled; the tears returning to your eyes.