3 5 | h a n g o u t

Beginne am Anfang

"Please Noor, the plan rides on you. If you don't have any other plans." Caroline said.

Does burying yourself under the blanket and watching crime documentaries count as a plan?

"I don't." I said. "Let's go."

"Great." Caroline clapped.

I dropped a text to Faaris explaining about this sudden plan, that he responded with Ok. Was it a normal OK? An angry OK? A moderately disappointed OK?

"Earth to Noor!" Hassan called my name, pulling me out of the trance.

"I am coming." I replied.

We three rode in Hassan's car and it was a 20-minute drive from the office. The restaurant was jam-packed yet it had a beautiful ambience. We sat down on a 4-person table and ordered Prawn tempura, spring rolls and dumplings for appetisers. The appetisers were served instantly so while waiting for the main course, we dug into the starters.

"Noor, you are from Pakistan, right? Our boss is also from there." Caroline commented.

"Yeah, I know." I stiffened at Faaris's mention.

"Well, isn't he hot?" She winked. "Especially when he wears blue."

I blushed at that. Faaris do look pretty handsome in blue. But he looks handsome in everything, even the ragged white T-shirt and shorts he likes to wear while gardening.

"He seems like a jerk sometimes." Hassan commented.

"He isn't." I said and both pairs of eyes turned to me. "I mean... He is probably just a serious person by nature."

"Maybe." Hassan shrugged.

The topic then shifted to a new movie coming to theatres this week. While Hassan and Caroline discussed that, I silently chomped on the dumplings and my ginger iced tea. The food was actually great and I planned on coming here with Faaris sometimes but then I remembered I was supposed to be angry at him.

The main course was served soon after. I had ordered Pad Thai that turned out to be delicious. While eating food, we discussed a variety of things like our career aspirations, hobbies, favourite singer etc. Caroline was particularly interested in learning about our countries and religion.

After we had finished eating, Caroline was picked up by her boyfriend while Hassan offered to give me a ride to my apartment, which I accepted hesitantly. I seated myself in the back seat and gave him directions to my residence.

"Did you enjoy the food?" Hassan asked, staring at me through the rear-view mirror.

"Yes, it was fun." I smiled.

"Hmm. So Noor, when did you come to the US?" He asked.

"Just a couple of months ago." I replied.

"What brought you here?" He raised his eyebrows..

"Some personal matters." I replied casually.

"So do you live alone?" He asked.

"No. I have a roommate actually." I stated.

Does a husband count as a roommate?

His car stopped in front of my building and from the car window, I could see a tall shadow peeking out of the balcony of our apartment.

"This area looks expensive." Hassan commented. "How do you afford an apartment here as an intern?"

"Uh..."

"Your parents must be rich." He said. "Sorry, that was rude of me."

"No, not really. And yes, I don't pay the rent myself." I said. That wasn't exactly a lie.

I could still feel eyes on me, deep brown eyes glaring at us in the dark. Saying goodbye to Hassan, I made my way towards the building and then into the apartment. By the time I entered our apartment, Faaris had come to the living room and was now sitting in front of the TV, completely ignoring my presence.

Muttering Good evening under my breath, I made my way towards my room but I gasped in surprise when I stepped my foot in the room.

"Why is the room empty? Where is all the furniture?" I walked out and asked Faaris who was listening to the news nonchalantly.

"The maintenance manager said there are termites in the wall behind your bed. They advised to leave the room empty till something is done about it." Faaris said.

"What? But where are my things?" I asked, putting my hands on my waist.

"I have shifted everything back to its place." He said casually, as if that wasn't part of some elaborate plan. How convenient that the termites were in the only room of the apartment where I was staying!

Well played, Mr. Faaris Humayun Shah!

Grunting in frustration, I made my way to his room – our room – and went to the bathroom to freshen up. By the time I changed into my pajamas, Faaris had already cozied himself into the bed and was reading a book. I sat down on my side and picked up my phone, checking the selfies Hassan had sent me that all three of us clicked earlier. I could feel Faaris peeking at my screen from the corner of my eyes.

"How was the dinner?" He asked, trying his best not to sound intruding.

"It was really fun." I replied.

"Great. Next time, call me beforehand when you need me to pick you up." He said sourly.

"Sure." I replied with a smirk. Men!

"Do you know how to drive?" He asked.

"Yes." I replied.

"Great. I'll schedule a driving test this weekend and then we will go to the showroom. You need a car." He said.

"Sure." I replied with a normal face although internally, I was jumping in happiness. I always wanted to have a car of my own since I was in college. It would give me a sort of control over my life and make me feel like an independent grown-up. Though I would prefer to buy it with my own money, let's be honest, I am not earning enough to save for a car anytime soon.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°