A Day at the Lake

Start from the beginning

"N-no. No. No!" she cried as he practically charged at her.  

Maxi tried to swim away but he was too quick.  
She screamed as she felt his massive arms wrap around her. She knew there was no escaping his embrace, but she tried anyway. She whined as she wiggled against him. She twisted until her head was level with his as he lifted her out of the water.  

"Careful Maxi," Riftan growled against her ear. She froze as she felt his bare chest rumble against her back. Her mine became fuzzy, and her legs felt like jelly.  

Riftan shifted her in his arms until she was facing him. He lifted her up until she was in the air above him. He held her up by her hips and tipped her forward so that her head was just above his. She closed her eyes and sighed as he placed a sweet kiss on her forehead, but her peace of mind was shattered when she opened her eyes again and saw a predatory look on her husband's face.  

"Later," he said in a husky voice that sent a chill down her spine. Goosebumps reappeared on her skin, and it had nothing to do with the cool breeze brushing over her wet body. It wasn't a question or even a statement, it was a promise.  

He gave a quick wink before launching her into the air. She squealed with surprise and delight as her body flew through the air before landing in the lake.  

Maxi crashed into the water with a loud splash. She held her breath, not ready to come up just yet. The water wasn't clear and easily hid her body under the surface. She used her magic to see her surroundings and silently swam back over to her husband.  

She had been under for a while and Andrew and Riftan started to get a little concerned when Maxi didn't resurface.  

"Maxi?!" Riftan yelled, growing more worried by the second. 

"Mommy!?" Andrew yelled, growing anxious upon hearing the worry in his father's tone. 

Hearing her husband and son's cries Maximilian decided she had been under long enough and launched herself out of the water bringing a powerful wave with her as she leapt at her husband.  

The force of the wave was strong enough to knock Riftan off his feet and the pair crashed into the water's surface. The couple quickly resurfaced, not wanting to cause their son any further distress. Maxi laughed as she had once again surprised her husband, which was a rare claim.  

She laughed joyously as her husband once again had a stunned look on his face.  
Maximilian was a beautiful woman but when she laughed, she looked absolutely breathtaking. He couldn't resist reaching for her waist, pulling her close against him before planting a short but sweet kiss on her lips.  

They broke the kiss and smiled warmly at one another before looking over at their son. Maxi and Riftan both chuckled at the grossed-out expression on their son's face.  

"You'll understand one day kid," Hebaron hollered from the shore.  

"No!" Andrew yelled naively before swimming away from his parents.  

Riftan and Maxi laughed again at their son's dramatic antics. Maxi sighed contently once again and Riftan held her a little closer. She beamed at him, and he smiled back at her.  

"Cheater," he mumbled quietly. 

Maximilian's mouth fell open. 

"What?!" she hollered with a playful glint in her eyes.  

"You heard me." Riftan replied. "You used magic, that's cheating." 

"Is not!" she retorted. "I had to use any advantage I could because you're so much bigger than me!" 

He smirked at her, and she grinned back at him.  

"Want a rematch?" she challenged.  

He let her go and turned around as though he was about to walk back to the shore.  

"No, we should start getting ready for dinner and-"  

He turned around swiftly and splashed her. He caught her off guard and she was completely drenched from the wave of water that slammed into her.  

When she recovered, she glared playfully at her husband and quickly splashed him back. The two were soon engaged in an epic water war of their own. Yelling and laughing, loving every moment of their battle. They fought until it was time for supper and the pair finally settled down for the evening.  

Later that night during their meal, Riftan's hand wandered a little too high up Maximilian's thigh underneath the picnic table. She swatted his hand away and shot him a look before smirking slightly and leaning over to whisper, "Later" before swiftly kissing his cheek and returning to her meal as though nothing had happened.  

Riftan grinned and put his hand around her waist as he pulled her a bit closer to his side and kissed the top of her head.  

'Looking forward to it, my lady' he thought with a devilish grin.  

——— 

Bright rays of the sunlight flooded the tent with warmth and light far too early the next morning. Last night, while the knights watched over their children, Maxi and Riftan had retreated to a secluded tent on the far side of the lake for a night alone.  

Maxi groaned and buried her face in her husband's chest trying to hide from the sunrise. Riftan hugged her gently and kissed the top of her head sweetly. He rose from their bed and quickly threw on some loose pants which hung low on his waist before grabbing the breakfast they had packed the day before. With his other arm he bent down over the bed and scooped up his little wife, blanket, and all.

She squealed with surprise and delight as she hugged the blanket closer to her. The cool morning air sent a chill down her body as they departed from the warmth of the tent.  

They sat on the shore of the lake, grazing on their breakfast as Maxi sat across Riftan's lap still bundled up in their blanket. They stole kisses from one another every now and then as they watched the sun rise higher and higher into the sky. They had told the knights they would be back in time for lunch but for now they simply enjoyed the tranquility of the morning and the peace they felt holding each other close.  

"Thank you," they said at the same time before smiling at one another.  

That 'thank you' spoke for so many things. Thank you for our children, thank you for all you do for our family, thank you for cherishing me especially when I felt I didn't deserve it, thank you for never being afraid to be yourself, thank you for loving me unconditionally, thank you for always being by my side. 

After breakfast, the couple dozed off on the shore of the beautiful lake. They would no doubt have another afternoon full of fun activities with their beloved children who they loved dearly, but for now they simply held their spouse in their arms and slept as the gentle waves from the lake crashed softly against the shore.