Chapter 4: The Honored One

Start from the beginning

Ah, you saw what he was trying to get at.

"So, Yuta became a Jujutsu Sorcerer?"

Gojo didn't exactly like the kind of guy Yuta would hang around with, so you still wondered what his relationship with him was.

"Correct. Currently, Yuta has decided to travel around, gather information, and find ways to improve his skills. He's enrolled in a special school that trains the next generation of Jujutsu Sorcerers," he answered.

He smiled, "He's got a talent, and so do you. You readily know how to use your cursed technique after only one battle and can control your residue cursed energy well."

You couldn't help but feel like he was keeping something from you.

"I don't know much about cursed energy and all that stuff...but I think I get what you mean about controlling and masking one's residual energy," you paused to think for a moment, debating on asking the following question or not. You didn't want to piss this guy off like the last one. Gojo didn't seem like the guy you wanted to mess with. "Was that you releasing that cursed energy the killer was talking about? And were you getting rid of curses around the city?"

He laughed, "Yeah, that was me. It was a good play, right?"

Glaring, you spat out at him. "Like hell it was! I could have gotten killed, you know? Ellena could have gotten hurt!"

He sighed as if tired of your outburst. "Now cool your jets. I knew what I was doing, and it was an effective way to test the extent of your abilities. I wouldn't put you in a precarious situation if I knew you couldn't handle it. I was keeping a close eye on you, regardless. If you had trouble dealing with him, I would have stepped in, but you're better than I expected."

You drew back your anger, more confused than upset now.

"You keep saying that," you sighed, rubbing a temple, "But you've just met me. Isn't it a little dangerous to put blind trust in someone like that?"

"Not blind trust," he said curtly, glancing down at you. You felt the need to shut up and listen, a little alarmed by how fast he answered.

Gojo looked serious, "I know it seems like this is out of the blue, but I've known about you for some time now. Perhaps not directly, but whether you expect it or not, Yuta speaks highly of you. I consider him one of my precious students, and if he believes you're pretty good to be up for batting, I'll take his word for it."

He put his hands in his pocket again, with a thoughtful look, "He's the one putting the most faith in you, so I'm just here to hear your answer. You can come with me to Tokyo and see what he's learned during his time in Jujutsu Tech or stay here in this corner of the world living your normal life."

You pondered his words, glancing back to see a sleeping Ellena shift as a wind draft blew past.

"But you'll be on your own then."

He was right; you'd be on your own. Maybe you could figure out your place in all this jujutsu stuff, but who knows when that would be. On top of that, he made it seem like you could learn and get stronger if you were to go to Tokyo. You could learn what you could and use it to protect what you cared about.

Besides, you wouldn't be so lonely in Japan since Ellena would be shipped over there soon enough.

"...What happened to Rika?"

You could see his head looking down at you again, but you didn't want to look up, even with that blindfold covering his eyes. It felt like he could see through your soul despite wearing it, and you were too anxious to test that hypothesis.