twenty-nine. RUN AWAY.

THE THREE are now huddled together, holding up their shields with nails and spears up defensively, as they listen to the bats screech and charge at the trailer, trying to find a way in. It stops suddenly. "Hey, dipshits! Give up that easy, huh?" Dustin shouted. "Shh!" Rhys whispered to him right away.

"Is that really necessary?" Eddie whispers next. "They're on the roof." The Munson now says. "Shit. Shit. Shit." Dustin says, walking slowly to the kitchen where there was a vent, waiting. "They can't get in through there, can they?" Dustin asked and Rhys quickly shook his head. "No, I covered it when I was setting up the amps, don't worry." He says.

"Oh, okay, good..." Dustin sighed in relief. Rhys also sighs in relief, he had been feeling uneasy. After a while of the bats trying, Rhys noticed the swarm moving away from that spot so he quickly turned to Eddie. "Are there any other vents?" Dustin asked instantly. "Oh, shit." Eddie looked down the hall, where they ran towards his bedroom, right as the bats all flew in through the vent on the floor.

"Shit!" Eddie slammed the door behind him. "Shit! Shit!" Dustin and Eddie backed away as Eddie picked up his shield, holding it up. "Let's go! Let's go!" He screamed and Dustin went first. "Come on, quickly!" He says and after Dustin went, Rhys climbed through, doing the same thing where he flipped himself over and looked up at his boyfriend.

"Eddie! Come on!" He shouted and Eddie tossed his spear and shield to the side. But then he stopped, "Eds?" Rhys shouts. "Eddie! Come on! You're so close! Let's go!" Dustin screams from beside the blond male.

Eddie looks to the side, letting go of the rope and Rhys felt his heart drop. "No! No!" He said as Eddie looked up at them. "Eddie!" Dustin and Rhys scream at the same time when Eddie went to pick up his spear. "What are you doing? Eddie, no!" Dustin shouted as Rhys was about to climb through, back into the Upside Down but fell because Eddie cut the rope. "Eddie!" He screamed.

"Eddie! Stop! Please, Eddie!" He screamed with tears stinging his eyes. Eddie flipped over the mattress, out of the way before picking up the shield and looking up. "Eddie! What are you doing?!" Dustin shouted and Eddie looked up. "I'm buying more time." He said, slinging on the shield. "No!" Dustin screams as Rhys shook his head. "I love you!" Eddie shouted and Rhys' breath hitched. "Don't! Don't do this! Don't do it like this!" Tears stream down his face but it's too late, Eddie left.

Rhys, then and there, didn't waste time, grabbing a chair from the table, "just jump through!" He told Dustin, doing exactly that and trying to land so that it wouldn't hurt, thankfully on his back. He groans, getting up, looking up. "Hold on!" He told Dustin who was in distress with tears evident in his eyes.

He set down the mattress, grabbed his spear and shield before he ran out, spotting Eddie on a bike. He ran as fast as he could, after the Munson biking away from the bats who then slammed him off the bike. "Eddie!" He ran over and Eddie quickly got up, looking at him. "Rhys!" He says right away, gasping. "What the hell?!" He shoved his boyfriend.

"You what the hell?!" He shoved Eddie back but then the bats began swarming around them. "Shit. Shit." He grabbed Eddie's arm, rushing away from the bats. "No!" The Munson stopped suddenly. "What?! What?" Rhys exclaimed and Eddie looked behind him. "I don't wanna run away anymore..." He says.

"We're not heroes... right?" Rhys tugs on his arm and Eddie just turned around. "Come on. We can fight them off together, right?" He says and Rhys sighed softly. "Yeah. Whatever you want, Eds." He said before they both took out their shields and their spears. The bats all came flying towards the pair.

The bats swarm around them now, the two standing back to back and swinging their spears at the Demo-bats that fly a bit too close. Occasionally swinging their shields too to hit the bats. "Come on!" Eddie shouted at the bats as Rhys hits some of them with his shield. They did this for a couple of moments, able to keep up a good fight due to there being the two of them rather than Eddie being alone.

In the middle of them fighting off the bats, one of them had grabbed Eddie up by his throat. "Eddie!" Rhys tried his best to help him but another grabbed him as well, flinging him back and onto the ground. "Shit!" He rasped out, struggling as he tried to tear the tail away from his neck. But then two other bats grabbed his wrist and pinned him down. "Fuck! Fuck!" He cried out in pain as two others pinned his ankles down to the ground.

Then he felt it, a bunch of tiny demo-bat teeth digging their teeth into his stomach. The same must have been happening to Eddie because he was wailing in agonizing pain that made Rhys heart break, tears filling his eyes. "Eddie!" He screamed out and Eddie sobbed. "Rhys," he cried out in response.

And then just like that, the bats all died, letting both of them go as they all fly to the ground. Rhys quickly rolled onto his stomach, slowly lifting himself onto his knees and hands, coughing and spitting out blood. He held a hand over his stomach, groaning in pain. Great. He's been beat up and eaten by bats in the span of just two days.

He looked over right away and crawled towards Eddie, "hey, hey, hey," he said and the brunette opened his eyes. "Did we do well or what?" He chuckled and Rhys quickly nods. "Don't have to say I told you so, right?" He smiles softly as he slowly lifted Eddie who groans at the pain he feels in his abdomen.

"Cough it out, cough it out," Rhys whispered when Eddie did the same, coughing and spitting out blood. "I'm so glad you're okay." He whispered as Eddie turned to look at him. "I'm glad you're here." He said softly as Rhys pulls him closer, resting their foreheads together. "I love you too." He says quietly and Eddie smiled. "Rhys..." He murmured.

"Eddie!" Dustin came running towards them, glad to see they were both okay as he fell to his knees next to the pair, wrapping his arms around both. "Okay, easy, easy, we were nearly dinner to an army of bats." Eddie said but he hugged back Dustin anyway, who then pulled back from their embrace.

"Never pull shit like that ever again!" He shoves Eddie's shoulder gently. "Sorry," Eddie chuckled and Dustin glanced down. "That looks bad... we should go look for a first aid kit or something. Are you both okay?" He asked as he glanced from Eddie to Rhys. "Yeah... we're okay." Eddie nodded softly, putting his head to his boyfriend's chest, sighing softly.

"Yeah, we are, but I agree with Henderson though. I don't want either of us to die from bleeding out or infection, so we better head back. The others will probably know their way back without us, right?" Rhys says and Dustin nodded quickly to confirm they would. "It's far more important to fix your wounds. Both of yours." He tells the couple.

authors note surprise ya'll! i kept him alive. and uh,,,, so the original plan was eddie dies, um, obviously like canon-wise but i fell too deeply for the love that rhys and eddie had for each other and couldn't let go.

anyway so original idea was: eddie dies, rhys goes home, ignores everyone else bc he doesn't owe them jack shit after his bf dies, the only person he was doing it all for, then cuts his hair in the middle of a break down bc all he could think about was eddie saying he grew out his hair for him 🥲🥲 but i couldn't write that. i'd just be too sad to do so

+ double update again later on today and then this book will be completed <3