Everything At Once

“All I’m saying, Pim, is that this didn’t seem like a three person job.” I rub the back of my neck, “You and Charlie could do this without me easily.”

    Pim smiles at me, and reaches for my hand, which I happily give him, “But you always know just what to say to make people smile. Plus, cheering up kids is the best! I love kids, Honey! I LOVE KIDS!” Charlie was quick to respond, “Maybe you don’t shout that out loud, Pim.”

    I knock on the door in a satisfying pattern with my free hand, “Let’s just get this over with, Alan and I are hanging out tonight and I don’t want to deal with a mountain of paperwork right before I-”

   The door opens, making me stop my complaining. An old lady with a shrill voice is responsible, and I start to tune her out. Not on purpose, of course, I just started thinking about a cool lighter I saw at the store last week. As we trail behind her, I let go of Pim’s hand. 

    Without hesitation I followed the guys into the room. Shutting the door behind me, I turn and freeze. A raggedy man stood there, with a pistol that looked eerily like the one attached to my hip to his head. It was like looking into a mirror, metaphorically speaking. 

    My brain felt fuzzy and I gripped at my chest through my sweater. Today was not going to be a good day for my mental health. I don’t know how long I was frozen, I snapped back to reality when Pim pulled me outside. 

    The rest of the day was filled with mildly entertaining things that only seem to make me grow more and more anxious, just waiting for the second that Desmend pulled the trigger. Not to mention I almost had a breakdown in front of Pim’s family, which only made my fears grow more intense. When the moment came, thank the gods the trigger wasn’t pulled while pointed at his head. Killing the little purple bastards that were trying to crucify Alan.

   The bad thing is, me and Alan didn’t even hang out after everything, I just patched him up and went home. The next day I came into the office with both Charlie and Alan panicking with a creature reaching for them through the TV. I quickly drew my revolver and shot the threatening being.

    Everyone looked at me in shock as I holstered my gun. “What?” I turned to Charlie as he rubbed his hands together, it kinda hurt to see him so nervous towards me.

   “Y-you have a gun on you? Do you usually keep it on your person?” I nod my head, “Of course I do, the world isn’t all sunshine and rainbows, gotta protect myself somehow. I started carrying it after I lost my pocket knife. Damn, I miss that thing, it had a cool skull on it,” I realize I started rambling, “Anyways, that thing was trying to grab you, not to mention trying to hurt you. It was either shoot it now, or call the police so they could shoot it.”

    I sat down next to a scruffy Pim, “I heard that Desmend started his own extermination business, don’t know how in the hell he recorded that ad of his so quickly, though.” Alan sat down in the chair to my left.

  Charlie looked too uncomfortable sitting in the chair closest to the now broken TV with the dead creature hanging from it, so he chose to stand in between me and Pim. “I mean, if you just found your life’s passion, wouldn’t you wanna start as quickly as possible?”

    I shrug my shoulders, “Eh? Not really. For me, at least. I mean, I love this job, it makes me happy, but I still struggle getting myself here. Oh, before I forget-” I dig through my bra and pull out the green apple vape pen I had bought. “I owe you this after your last one was lost in the abis I call my couch.” 

    I hand the pen to Charlie, he gave me a quick “thanks” before taking a long drag and blowing a cloud of smoke in my face. I fan the smoke away, turning to Alan. “I know we didn’t get to hang out yesterday, you wanna make it up on Friday?”