There were many ways he could answer that particular question. One of which might very well cost him his friendship and land him in the madhouse. But, perhaps if he chose the right inflection, he not only wouldn't have to lie, he'd be able to set the matter to rest, so there was no worry of it coming up in the future.

"You must know the silence is only serving to heighten my curiosity," Roderick said. He scooted to the edge of his chair, rested his elbows on his knees, and whispered, "What else did she say?"

Rufus glanced at the two ghosts who'd stopped pacing and watched him with rapt attention, then met Roderick's gaze, cleared his throat, and shrugged. "It wasn't my time to die, and death surrounds me."

Roderick was quiet for a moment before saying, "I suppose she's correct on both accounts."

"Considering what I do for a living."

Roderick nodded. "And that you are alive after drowning. She's got you pegged, old boy. Pretty good even if she is only a hired actress."

They fell silent, each lost in their thoughts, until Roderick relaxed in his chair and asked, "Did you get any sense on Elphi, whether or not she's c-u-r-s-e-d?"

"It's too soon to tell," Rufus said with a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "You're certain there are no enemies or jilted lovers from either her or her fiancés that might have come to mind now that you've had more time to think on it?"

Roderick shook his head, "Unfortunately, no. Why do you ask?"

Rufus sighed. "It would make it deucedly simpler to clear the matter up if there were. A pinpoint, if you will, rather than flailing about in the dark."

"I suppose to that end, it's fortunate for you that she's attending the Baron of Terreworth's séance next week. You'll be joining her as well, I trust?"

"Why?"

"I should think the answer to that question is rather obvious. You received an invitation; I can see it there on your desk."

Rufus groaned as he quickly covered the offending card and envelope with his left hand and hung his head. "She does realize there are other methods in which one might garner answers other than blasted séances, yes?"

Roderick snickered, "Yes."

"And?"

"We tried them." Roderick's shoulders lifted in a shrug, "Obviously, they didn't work, or I wouldn't have come knocking on your door, begging for help."

"You never knock," Rufus muttered with a roll of his eyes.

Roderick bit back a sympathetic smile as he met Rufus's gaze, "If it's any consolation, I despise the awful events as much as you do."

"But you'll be going to the Baron's as well?"

Roderick scoffed and shook his head, "Hadn't planned on it, no."

"If I'm going to subject myself to another one of these infernal things this month," Rufus grumbled, "you are going too."

The two stared at one another in silence, then Roderick rolled his eyes and bit back a chuckle as he relented, "Oh, very well, wish granted—but just the one."

"It's the least you could do."

"True," Roderick snickered, then became quiet for a brief moment, hesitating before asking, "And how are you feeling about the second rule, now that you've met Elphi?"

Visions of how she'd looked last night flitted through Rufus's mind and caught him off-guard, but he stubbornly pushed them aside and ignored the continual swarm of butterflies fluttering in his gut with every mention of her name. "You'll be pleased to know after last evening, I'm in no danger of falling in love with her."