1. Capital R Rake

Start from the beginning

"Where else would they be?" Gregory asked.

"Climbed through the window, the chimney," Benedict offered. "Alex probably helped."

"Quiet! They may hear you," Violet says, scared her daughters actually would.

"Do you realize I left my husband and child at home for this?"

"I told everyone this would happen, now we're to be late for the queen," Anthony snaps.

Francesca shushes them, "I hear something."

"Anthony!" Violet calls out as he sighs and goes to open the door. Out of the door comes three or four lady's maids and then the twins dressed up in long white dresses with gold accents.

"If one of you utters a single word–" Eloise starts before picking up her dress. "Let us get this over with."

"Eloise, you look lovely," I call out to her as she walk. "Tell her she looks lovely," I whisper harshly to our siblings.

"I think you both look beautiful," Mama tells me.

"Certainly, sister. You look like royalty," Hyacinth tells me. I smile at her before going after my twin.

"Thank you, Alexzander," Anthony shakes his hand.

"You're welcome, I might've promised Eleanor that I would book the entire season so that she didn't have to worry about getting married so—" he runs off after the two, avoiding the frustrated look of Violet.

~

"Just remember to remain composed. And control your emotions. Her Majesty does not take kindly to any hint of hysterics. I found a small smile worked best to appear open and approachable, but not too eager. Now, let us see it," Daphne tells us in the carriage on the way.

"No," Eloise glares at her. Daph turns to me and I give her a sneer instead.

"Eleanor, if you are going to be the diamond you must act as such," Daphne tells me.

"She's practically melting," Hyacinth says, looking at Eloise. I turn to her to see her staring out the window very uncomfortable.

"Here. Allow me," Francesca says, grabbing the fan and fanning Eloise.

"And your curtsy, dearest. Tell your sisters how you managed such balance," Mama tells her and I try to rub Eloise's arm as she closes her eyes and tries to breathe, looking like she might swoon.

"Simply locate a stationary object and keep your eyes set. I used a painting nearby. We practiced it. Several times," Daphne says and Eloise whimpers. "You both have natural gifts–"

"Do not patronize me. And give me that—" Eloise orders, snatching the fan from our sister.

"Eleanor, please do try and talk this season. I found it best when looking for suitors to hold a decent conversation about something such as a future or our family. Nothing like politics or something that they could not keep up with such as your violin skills," Daphne says.

"Why? I thought they liked women who do not talk. They don't talk, how can they possibly talk back? Oh, and If I do I have to keep it simple and most likely in the one language their small measly little brains can comprehend. English! Not Latin or Italian or god forbid Spanish! I can also not talk about my violin skills because oh there goes their masculinity!" I rant.

~

We only had a few moments left and mother was fixing Eloise's feather. "It is not too late. You could say I collapsed. That I got something unmentionable on my gown. All the feathers affected my senses. Anything, Mama, to get me out of doing this," El begs and I stood there just trying to breathe, maybe if I just go through my cords I could forget everything in the moment.