The twins sat me down on the bed with sympathetic smiles on their faces.

            “Don’t worry-” one began.

            “You will be-” the other continued.

            “Amazing!” they said in sync.

            I guess that was the power of sharing the same womb for nine months. Sounds cramped, in my opinion.

            “Now go out and meet your prince!” Ellen ordered. “I hear that you’ll have to get back early, since my father would like to talk to you about your introduction ceremony.”

            “Introduction say whaaat?” I tried to press the subject but they were already pulling me out of the room and through the maze that was the Vampire Palace.  

            Christopher was waiting for me in the front garden, his hands behind his back. For once, he had ditched the formal shirts and dress pants for jeans and a t-shirt. It felt like years since I’d seen him dressed so casually. Soon I was in his arms and kissing him without even thinking about it.

            This was my Christopher. Not the one in designer suits and a golden crown.

            He seemed slightly surprised at my sudden eagerness, but kissed me back nonetheless. It was sweet and meaningful- none of our usual fire and craziness.

            “What was that for?” he asked when we pulled away. I shrugged.

            “I feel like everything has finally gone back to normal. You’re not Prince Christopher of Astria, superior to all, anymore. You’re my Christopher. Christopher the smurf.” I grinned and pecked his lips. “I’ve missed you.”

            The poor guy looked too shocked to reply.

            But everything I’d said was true. As soon as we came to this place Christopher had been acting differently. It was like he had a different life in Astria compared to the human world- a double personality. And he was so confused when he had to find a way to merge them together that he went a bit bipolar, not that the whole mating thing helped or anything, and couldn’t control himself.

            Now, he had everything figured out. To people he didn’t know, he was their Royal Highness. To me he was the plain old Chrissie the Smurf, whose soul brother was Chrissie the Parrot.

            A parrot I hadn’t seen since we left for Astria.

            He’d actually been gone since we moved into our apartment. At first I thought it was because it was mating season in Brazil and he wanted to get involved (which I was totally fine with- every mother has to let their baby have some fun sometime), but now I was getting worried. He had never stayed away for as long as this.

            I probably would have noticed his absence before, but I was too hung up on everything else crazy happening in my life.

            While I had been thinking about my beloved birdie, Christopher was pulling me towards a limo idling outside the front gates. I put Chrissie on the blank to-do list (I didn’t have anything else, right?) and addressed my current situation.

            “Where are we going?” I asked curiously. I’d never been outside the royal castle and town. Obviously, there were tons of different cities and suburbs in Astria- it was a big country, after all- but Christopher hadn’t had the time to show me any.