Chapter Twenty Five

25. A True Tragedy

A month passed and Christmas was just around the corner, but, as expected of a vampire pregnancy, my bump hadn’t grown much more. I could still easily conceal it under the many dresses I was forced to wear. A maternity class was added into my private lessons as well.

            My friends tended to fawn over me when something new developed, yet most of the time they almost forgot that I was pregnant. Sometimes they’d try and get me to do something daredevil-ish, and I would just be like… ‘You do know I’m otherwise engaged, right?’

            It was ten days before Christmas when the headmistress summoned me. I suspected already that it had something to do with the war, so my hands shook as I knocked on the door. Cassiopeia, surprisingly, smiled at me in greeting.

            “Emiliana. Sit down.” I sat. “We’ve received word that Faelin has ordered a temporary standby in the war, and so Queen Madeleine is on her way now to take you back to Astria for the Christmas holidays. It is then that you will be able to tell Prince Christopher the good news, as well as arrange your marriage.”

            I swear my mouth hit the floor. I could go home. I was going home. Well, if you could consider the palace in Astria home, which I personally didn’t just yet. I still felt mildly- okay, a whole freaking lot- out of place there at times. Therefore, it wasn’t quite home but it was close enough in this crazy continent. 

            “Please say your goodbyes. You may leave your possessions here in wait for your return.”

            I nodded and thanked her before leaving. The girls were excited for me, but I could tell that there were some jealous vibes coming off them. Not malicious ones, but they were totally there like I was the sexy smurf talking to Smurfette and they were the wannabes watching. Though, that wasn’t a very accurate analogy.

            “Have fun, and good luck telling His Highness your special news!” Mia cried after hugging me. A limo pulled up as we were chatting at the academy’s steps.

            “Yeah, do it in a really creative way,” Kai nodded with a wink. “Maybe wear some cute ling-”

            “Or hide it in a cake!” Char interrupted. “Make a really yummy cake for him, and inside his piece write ‘this isn’t the only thing that is cooked in my oven, another cake should be here around this time next year’.”

            “Don’t you think that’s a little long?” my Japanese friend pondered.

            “Nah! She can easily make it fit!”

            Kai frowned and started motioning around with her hands. “When you consider the diameter of an ordinary cake and the skillfulness of Emilee’s icing ability, not to mention the overall area of the cake itself, the lettering would initially have to-”

            “Yeeeah stop,” I butted in. “You must be speaking your crazy witch language or something ‘cause I can’t understand a word you’re saying.”

            “Emiii!” she complained. “If you actually let me finish you would have gotten it in the end!”

            “Well, too late now. Instead I saved the world from one of your math rants. Go me.” I paused. “Hey, do you think I’m approaching this whole ‘become the queen of smurfs’ thing all wrong? Maybe there’s a special formula you have to drink to make yourself a smurf. Like a mixture of blueberries, sugar, fun and awesomeness with a hint of water?”