Chapter 8

After their exciting night, which had turned into an addictive weekend fling, they had met again to discuss actual business. While Arackniss insisted the sex had nothing to do with his decision to talk it all over with "his boss", Pentious found himself employed by the Family for various little projects. The first of which had been the exceedingly simple task of fixing one of the machines in the plant. Not that it had been intentional by any means. Arackniss had explained the situation with the mob and having to run a sale on Codeine, which had led to a higher demand, which had overloaded the machine. They'd originally been calling one of their on call mechanics, but it was faster for Pentious to make the forty-five minute trip to the plant and fix it. Odd little jobs had kept him thoroughly busy and he came to the realization that Arackniss did way too much. In every sense of the word.

His lover told everyone where to go, when to go there, what to do once they were there, and how to do it. His list of skills was ridiculously extensive and it made Pentious upset that the man didn't have any help in it. Out of the thousands of people the family employed, the single Project Manager did way too much. It had been a month by the time he was reminded he had another job to do. Entering the drawing room, he stopped in his tracks and held his breath. Seated on the couch, his back perfectly straight, legs crossed, and the same manipulative smile was the King of Hell himself. "What are you doing here, My Lord?" He smiled tightly at Lucifer, who took a deep breath like he was thinking about before looking down at his hands.

"Oh, just... waiting. For an update on your progress, of course." Pentious held back a cringe.

"Didn't you say I didn't have a timeline? What good would an update saying "I have nothing" do for you?" Slipping into the chair across from the couch, he watched the man closely.

"It wouldn't, but you have more than that. I know you have more than that because, even though nobody talks about it, you are the best in the Pentagram. You have never failed a client, and I highly doubt I would be the first." He shifted a bit to get more comfortable and looked at Pentious excitedly. "Now then, how is your progress?" His progress? On finding out who the real Overlord was?

"Well, um..." Clearing his throat, he smiled at the King. "I...uh..." He glanced at the doorway where Gregory was hiding just around the corner, waving him to talk. "I successfully infiltrated the organization. I did spend the first few weeks spying on them, and I didn't find much. Don Henroin spent a lot of time talking with the Project Manager, who is his eldest son, so that wasn't incredibly surprising. And all of the orders so far have been doled out by Henroin himself." Those yellow snake eyes narrowed on him. "And, I... got caught. However, I did turn it around and I'm now employed by the Family for odd jobs they might need me for." Again, he looked at the doorway and noticed Gregory signalling something. "Oh and-" He stopped once he translated what the man was telling him to talk about. He wanted Pentious to tell Lucifer about his relationship with Arackniss. Normally, he would have no problem with it, after all Lucifer was his client, but this time? No, he wouldn't talk about Arackniss like that. "A-and I think I'm getting close to discerning who might actually know who the real Overlord is." They both heard the sound of Gregory slamming his head against the wall and jumped, looking towards the door.

"I'm still not giving you a timeline, because I know how sneaky and skilled these men and women are. They are masters of manipulation and they certainly aren't afraid of using their skills on anyone. They are a force to reckon with."

"Masters of manipulation? Where the fuck did you hear that?" He looked up from his plate at the spider, who was shaking his head. "Maybe my brother and sister, but if my Papa could manipulate anything, he wouldn't need me anymore."

"It's just a rumor that's been spreading for years." Arackniss rolled his eyes at it before taking a bite. "So you deny it? You don't think you're dangerous in any way." His lover jabbed his fork in Pentious' direction.