xv

Narnia 2325

Caspian's eyes scanned the scenery from the balcony, allowing the fresh air to fill his lungs. He leaned forward to rest his forearms on the railing as he sighed in contentment.

Footsteps sounded from inside his bedroom behind him, but his eyes remained trained on the horizon, knowing that his country was safe at last.

The footsteps reached the balcony before they paused.

"Dad," a small voice sounded.

Caspian turned, not expecting his son to be the one in the room and smiled at the small boy. "Are you alright, Rilian?"

The boy nodded, rubbing his eyes in fatigue. He smiled at his son and picked him up, allowing him to witness the beauty of Narnia with him.

"I can't believe this is yours," Rilian spoke, referring to the view. Despite growing up in Narnia, the views still shocked Rilian because of how beautiful they were.

Caspian frowned slightly and shook his head at the misconception. "This isn't mine, son. Narnia belongs to no one, but everyone at the same time. I merely help to protect it and ensure that its beauty is never lost."

Rilian laid his head on the man's shoulder. "I hope it never is lost."

Placing a kiss on his head, Caspian smiled. "It won't be. I won't allow that to happen."

"What if you're not here to protect it?" Rilian asked innocently.

"You will be."

"But I can't do it by myself," he shook his head.

Caspian smiled once more. "There are many people who care for Narnia, son. If it is threatened and I'm not here to help you, other people will."

"Like whom?"

His smile faltered as one name in particular found its way into his head. Pushing it out, he answered "Aslan."

"There are my two favourite boys," another voice began from the balcony entrance.

Turning to see Liliandil, the person he had expected to see the first time, he held his arm out.

She smiled and wrapped herself in his arm, ruffling up her son's hair causing him to giggle. Lilliandil placed a kiss on Caspian's lips before snuggling further into his side.

"How is my beautiful wife today?" he asked her.

She smiled, her eyes on the horizon. "She's good, how is her charming husband?"

"He's well as long as she is."

They exchanged a warm smile before they averted their eyes to their son who had fallen asleep, his face squashed against Caspian's shoulder. He chuckled quietly while his wife offered to take Rilian to bed.

Once they left, a smile lingered on Caspian's face but faded after a moment.

The metallic cold burned a hole in his chest, searing its way towards his heart and, once it reached it, blistering away at it. The guilt he felt remained piled up inside of him.

The necklace against his chest, the one he had yet to take off in the past eighteen years, glistened innocently as though it wasn't his downfall.

* * *

"Are you alright, Caspian?" Liliandil asked, coming back onto the balcony an hour later.

"Of course, my love. Why wouldn't I be?"

She sighed, "you've been on this balcony for two hours." She looked around. "Plus, it's freezing out here, come inside."

He watched as she outstretched her hand towards him. The king grasped her hand, pulling his wife and queen into his chest. Resting his hands on her waist, he smiled.

"I love you," he whispered.

Liliandil smiled, though it was only small. She placed her arms around his neck, playing with the long hair at the back of his head. "I love you more."

He didn't doubt that.

Smiling, he allowed her to pull him off the balcony and into their sleeping quarters.