I glanced back at him briefly, a content smile on his face as he leaned against the railing. I then got an idea. I looked at Courfeyrac with a mischievous smile.

"What?"

"Just wait."

I pulled my hands away from his and broke free from the circle, walking over to where Enjolras stood. He opened his mouth to speak but in Courfeyrac fashion, I grabbed his hands and pulled him into the group. Courfeyrac grabbed his shoulders and laughed at me, giving me a look of approval from behind him. I looked at his face and started to slowly move his arms, making him dance. He shook his head as a smile graced his face. I laughed again and picked up the pace. The boys joined in and grabbed onto him, forcing him to dance. Marius, who was clearly glad the attention was not on him anymore, joined in. He stood next to me as everyone danced with Enjolras.

I heard someone whisper my name and spun around.

"Hyacinth."

It sounded again. I looked back at the group before breaking free from them and quietly walking down the stairs. I looked around as I got closer and closer to the bottom, my heart beating so hard I could feel it shaking my whole body. I sucked in a breath as my feet hit the floor. Madame Houcheloup was nowhere to be seen so it couldn't have been her. Cécile surely wouldn't have been able to get out seen as I've been gone for a long time. So who else? Gavroche was upstairs with the boys.

I walked around for a second and, against my better judgement, I looked out the window. I stared, not seeing anything and it worried me. Was I hearing things?

"Hyacinth."

Definitely not.

I looked to the side and walked back to the stairs. I walked as fast as I could and almost reached them when an arm grabbed me. I let out a gasp and spun around.

"Don't scream."

"Father?" I blinked at him and he let go of me. "How did you know?"

"I saw you with them at the rally," he said calmly. My eyes widened at him.

"Why were you at the rally?" I asked.

"Why were you?"

I paused, thinking carefully about my response. Could he be trusted? Clearly I was here but does he know the extent of my involvement? Should he know?

He sighed and without speaking another word he pulled me into his chest. I felt his arms wrap around me softly and I let myself relax. I followed his action and hugged him back, taking it in. Though, it did worry me. Mother surely had a close eye on everyone in the home now so how had he gotten out?

"How are you here?" I mumbled into his jacket. He ran his hand down my hair and sighed once again.

"Your mother, though she would like to, cannot control me. I told her I was going out and that was that." I smiled slightly and looked up at him. He backed away from me and stared, putting a hand on my face. "Fight for what you believe in. I can see it in your eyes how much you love this cause. Don't let anyone tell you what you cannot be."

I smiled and placed my hand on top of his hand. His other hand went to my shoulder as he scanned my face with a look of pride in his eyes. I didn't want him to go. I didn't want to know what was going on at the house while I was gone but I did. I needed to hear what she was doing. Had she harmed any of them? Had she threatened them? The words were on the tip of my tongue and I battled with myself over saying it. I just wanted it to come out, but it wouldn't. I took a deep breath, looked into his eyes. Behind the pride there was a dull look of sadness. I could tell this was hard on him, too. But I didn't know what aspect was hard. Me leaving or my mother going mad over me.

"What is going on at-"

"Who are you?" a familiar voice interrupted. It was chilling how angry he sounded. Father looked away from me and followed the sound of the voice. "I'll repeat myself. Who are you?" he pressed, a slight growl in his tone. I heard his footsteps travel down the stairs and walk up to my father. He removed his hand from my shoulder and stared him down. Father glanced at me quickly, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Enjolras," I said.

"Have you been sent here? What do you want?"

"Enjolras," I said again.

"You try to pull anything and I will end your life with my bare hands."

"Enjolras!" I yelled. He looked over at me, the anger not leaving his face. "It's just my father."

"Just your father? Is he not-"

"No. He's not here to pull anything," I said. Then it occurred to me, what if he was? I looked over at him, asking him silently with my eyes. Once he met my gaze his face changed. Hurt took over his eyes.

"My apologies, monsieur." Enjolras nodded at my father, looking over at me. I felt my heart crumble as my father looked so pained at me. I hadn't even said anything and yet, there he was, hurt by my own assumptions.

"We're just making sure she won't be taken," he added. My father looked at him, and then looked at me. His face changed again.

I knew that look.

I then looked down. Mine and Enjolras' hands were dangerously close. One move and we'd be touching. I stared at Father and shook my head slightly. He gave me the look Marius always gives me before glancing at the door.

"I thank you for ensuring my daughter's safety Monsieur.." he paused, looking at Enjolras.

"Enjolras."

"..Monsieur Enjolras. I must be going now. She'll begin to get angry again if I am out for much longer." I sighed and looked at his face. He didn't want to be going back to her but what kind of choice did he have? He walked away from me slowly, turning back with his hand on the handle.

"Do not forget, Hyacinth. Do not let a single person change you." And with that he left. I stared after him for a moment. I watched him leave through the windows, feeling a pang of guilt in my chest. If I was different he'd be living a better life. They all would. If I had been an obedient daughter things would be alright. I cannot understand why I was placed in this world with these ideas. These feelings. Perhaps if I had suppressed them as a child instead of speaking them out loud to Marius my family would not be suffering at my hands.

A hand on my wrist snapped me out of the daze and I came back to reality, the guilt weighing me down like an anchor to a boat.

"Why did you go by yourself? There was no guarantee on who you would face," Enjolras said, staring into my eyes. I couldn't form sentences anymore. The guilt mixed with whatever I was feeling when he placed a hand on me was halting my ability to speak. So I just stared. Enjolras' face softened in an instant. Then, he did the unimaginable.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and held me against him. I hesitantly let my arms wrap around the back of his neck, hugging him back. It was a strange feeling. In that moment it was like something clicked. I rested my head on his shoulder as he held me tight in his arms.