Chapter 14 - Unfolding the Truth

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean? I'm in my yard."

"Okay." I heard a lot of background noise.

"Why do you..." I faltered as I turned my head to see...

"Because I want to see you, too." He replied.

...Mason standing a few feet away from me, with his phone in his hand.

I think my heart skipped a beat. But not in a good way.

I sighed out of relief as I stood up. "Oh my word. I think I just gained a few pimples on my face."

"Why? From seeing me?" Mason made a cacophonous gasp. "That's quite offensive! I drove through the snow just to-"

Grinning, I interrupted his rant by giving him a hug. "Shut it."

He embraced me, with one arm wrapped around my waist and the other arm gently caressing my hair. I felt a wave of elation rushing into my body, and it felt like a mug of hot chocolate engulfing me.

I never thought I could find such comfort in his arms.

"How was your Christmas?" I asked, still holding him tight.

"I'd say it was okay. My grandpa couldn't cook for the life of him, so we ended up eating ramen for dinner." He was silent for a moment. "We also went to the graveyard today."

I immediately looked up to meet his eyes. "Really? What happened?"

"My brother, my grandpa, and I all had a chance to talk to our parents. I told them that I was doing great mentally, and how I got a girlfriend. I talked about other random things, too: Betty, that time when I broke my ankle, how you slapped me... all that fun stuff."

I gaped my mouth. "Whoa. Robin Griffin knows who I am now!"

"Yeah. I can't tell if she likes you though."

I faked a laugh as I turned my head to see the sunset. "You're too funny."

He followed my action and turned his head. "The sunset is pretty spicy today."

I snickered as I met his eyes again. It was indeed spicy. It manifested a fierce crimson color, and its ethereal beauty was captivating.

I gave him a warm smile. "Mason, I was going to say this earlier."

"What is it?"

I sucked my teeth. "Wouldn't it be cool if we watched the sunsets together? From now on?"

He grinned. "That would. But only if I get to sit in that seat in the morning."

I guffawed until I stared him down. "Absolutely not."

He pouted his lips. "But why? I think I deserve to sit there more than you."

I scoffed. "Are you serious? I claimed that seat!"

"So? It's about who loves sunrises more. And that's clearly me."

Our trivial bickering continued, followed by uncontrollable laughter. And as we talked for countless minutes, the sun soon disappeared into the horizon, and the sky slowly switched to a starry night.

-

"Yukina! Maia! Your mochi is ready!" Mom announced.

"Oh, perfect!" Yukina howled as she ran to the table. "This will keep me energized throughout the night, then."

I took a seat as Mom gave Yukina and I bowls of soup with toasted mochi in them. Holy smokes, I haven't eaten this in an eternity.

It's Japanese tradition to eat mochi around New Years, and some families like to do so on December 31, which is today. There are various ways to eat mochi; it can be served in sweet soup, it can be toasted and be covered in sweetened soy sauce, etc. Most families eat mochi so that it can bring good fortune over the upcoming year.