18- Just One Kiss

Start from the beginning

What is this?

He stood up, staring around him. Where was she? She had to be already here somewhere wasn't she? He had to find her. He took a few cautious steps forward, not having the slightest clue to where to even start looking for her.

He stared around him in circles, not knowing where to go or what to do… that was when he saw it. Over the dying trees, there was the tip of what appeared to be some kind of tower. He couldn't ever remember seeing that there before. But something inside him just told him to start heading to that tower…

So he ran. He ducked underneath the sick trees, jumping over the ones that had begun to rot and had fallen over. He ignored everything around him as he continued to run… he couldn't explain, even to himself, why it was so important for him to get there, only that something precious to him was being held there.

He had no idea how much time had passed. It could've been hours or just a few minutes… all he knew was that he eventually came bursting out into a clearing and there she was.

"Oh, thank goodness," he sighed, recognizing that long red hair anywhere. "For a second, I thought that something had happened to you. Are you ok? What's going on?"

It was only then did he notice where they were. They were standing on the doorstep of a castle—but it was as silent as a grave. There was a large wall that was keeping out anyone who could even think of entering; covered in thick, branch-like vines that were covered with thorns as long as knives.

The many turrets and towers of this castle were covered with so many of these vines that you could hardly see any of the gray stone that was underneath. There was nothing but silence…

As quiet as a grave and it sent shivers up his spine.

He stepped forward, his footsteps echoing on the hard road as he approached the girl. Her back was to him and she didn't even look back when he had called to her… she just continued to stare off at the distant castle.

"Hey," he called.

She turned her head to look at him for a brief second before she turned away from him again.

"You came back," she said. But this time it wasn't a question… it was a statement.

"I always do," he answered. "Could you tell me… what your name is?" he asked her softly, though he had a feeling that maybe now wasn't a good time to play that game.

"Why ask a question you already know the answer to?" she asked, still not looking at him. Her tone was not of the playfulness that it usually was.

"What's wrong?" he asked her quietly.

"Nothing," she answered, and he didn't believe her. Feeling anxious, he stepped forward and touched her shoulder. She didn't react at all, still refusing to look at him.

"What is it?" he repeated worriedly.

"I told you, nothing!" she said forcefully, pulling her hand from his grasp and began walking away, towards the castle. Harry was completely taken aback. This wasn't like her at all… he quickly followed.

"I know that something's wrong! Hey!" he called to her. "You can't just walk away from me like this!"

"Watch me!" she shouted back.

"Listen," he yelled to her, now starting to get angry himself. "Why are you so angry with me?"

"I'm not angry at you!" she shouted back. "I just don't want to see you now!"