3- A Peasant's Life

"Hermione and Harry?" Ron repeated before he nodded to them both. "Thanks again… I've been traveling for the last few days, and I haven't met anyone else on the road."

"Well, that's because the harvest season is over isn't it?" Hermione asked as she went back to the fireplace. "Harry? Could you get some of the vegetables in the cellar? I'll try and cook some mushrooms and…"

"How about I cook?" Harry asked as he showed Ron into the room that Hermione just came out of so that he could change in peace. "And you can go get them?"

The last thing Ron heard before Harry shut the door was Hermione snapping at him, "What? You don't think I can cook?"

Ron found a large tub that was full of water, obviously the bathroom and he quickly took a bath before he changed into the clean clothes, so glad for them… and to get out of his now ruined garments. As he shook out his red hair, he thought more to his journey. What should he tell them? It's not like he could come right out and tell them that he had been sleeping for who-knows-how-long and only woke up a few days ago so that he could find his sister's soul mate could he?

As he slowly smelled the delicious scent of stew cooking, he came up with a plan. He would tell them that he came from far away and that he was just traveling this way. And then he would causally bring up the question about his home… he would just ask if they knew about it and how long it had been cursed…

At long last, he came out, feeling better than he had in days and saw that Hermione had disappeared, but Harry was still there, now stirring whatever was in the pot. He looked up at him when he answered and explained, "She tries hard… but cooking just isn't one of her strong points."

Ron grinned. "You seem alright though?"

Harry laughed. "Well, one of us had to learn," he said. But then his expression darkened. "But is what Hermione said true and that you don't know anything about the market? It's the biggest thing around these parts. People from all over come to trade and sell."

"Ah…" Ron stuttered. "No… I've only been traveling for a little while, and I've never been to this country before. I'd been traveling this way for about four days now."

"From where?" he asked, but before he was able to think of an answer Harry just shook his head. "No, I'm sorry," he told him as he added some salt to the stew. "It's none of my business. I know a lot of people who wouldn't like talking about things they rather not talk about. It's just strange meeting someone who doesn't know what's happening around these parts."

Ron sat in one of the kitchen chairs and asked, "No, it's ok. I'm grateful for you guys helping me. See…" he hesitated, as Harry looked up. "I'm looking for someone who could help my family, and I've got nothing to go on."

"Man!" Harry said, standing up. "That sounds like it would suck."

Ron laughed as Harry looked at him hard. "What did you say your name was again?"

"Oh, ah… Ron," he said. "Just Ron."

Harry frowned slightly at the name. "What?" Ron asked worriedly.

"Oh, nothing," Harry assured him. "It's just that I think I heard that name somewhere before… I'm trying to think of where."

Ron didn't like where he was going with this and quickly asked, "So… what are you making?"

"Just some stew," he answered calmly. "Hermione's outside with Crookshanks."

"Who?" Ron asked.

"Her cat, Crookshanks," Harry answered, stirring the pot. "He's in the barn… he got into a fight with a dog the other day and he's recovering in there."