Mandy

August 14, 1793

I hurriedly scrubbed at the dishes and cooked the food all at once, tryna keep the sweat off my brow as mistress approached me. She looked aggravated and worried, her arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed. She tapped her foot behind me as I scrubbed away at the pots that I had just used.

She cleared her throat in attempt to get my attention, and I turned to her, using the best look of surprise I had. "Why, howdy, miss. I suppose you had a nice sleep?"

She huffed and straightened her hair. "Yes, Mandy. I rested well. Now, if I may ask, where exactly might Sadie be?"

I turned back to the sink, trying to hide my look of 'How do I make this lie sound convincing'. "Well, miss, all she told me was that she'd be down soon. She, uh, wasn't feelin' well this mornin'."

My mistress nodded her head-as I could see from my peripheral vision-and turned back around. "Well please do make sure she is okay. Yes?"

I nodded, not turning around. "Yes ma'am."

I wiped the sweat off of my brow, and hunched over in relief when she finally left the kitchen.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Jensen and Jared stopped me suddenly when I was just about to leave the table from bringing them their dailies.

"Hey, Mandy," Jensen said in his husky voice.

I turned to him, waiting to be slapped in the face or something of the sort. Normally Negros like I were just stopped outta nowhere. Then again, these boys were some of our most loyal customers. "Yes sirs? Did I do something wrong? I can fix it if ya want."

My eyes didn't fix from the floor as Jared gave a half smile, and and shook his head. "No, you're great. We were just wondering where Sadie is, is all."

With that I looked up at them, and put my tray on my hip. "Well I do say. Where do y'all think she is? She's doing your dirty work, as you asked her to. Did ya not?"

They both smirked a bit, and looked from each other to me. "Well, I assume so," Jensen said, chuckling. "But I wouldn't exactly call it 'dirty work.' Just a nice favor."

I raised my eyebrow at the two. "And what is she gettin' in return?" I asked mischievously.

Jensen and Jared shared looks again and both chuckled this time. "Whatever she wants. And what do you think she might ask for, assuming you know her so well." Jensen raised his eyebrow at me, as Jared took a ship of coffee after asking me that.

I shrugged. "Well she'll probably feel too bad to take anything from ya, but I know what she needs. And y'all probably know what I'm about to say, but I'll still say it. Her mother is always stalking about how she needs a nice husband that will treat her well, and has a good pay. What might you guys say about that?"

Jared shrugged as he took another wig at his coffee, and Jensen just casually ate his pie. "She's a nice, attractive, young girl. I don't know who wouldn't want to take her hand in marriage," Jared said in an indifferent voice.

Jensen nodded, as if in agreement, and I nodded once. "Well that is nice to hear. Well, I must get back to work. without Sadie on the job it is pretty stressful."

Jensen nodded and said, "I can imagine. Good luck, then, Mand."

I turned back around and walked into the kitchen with success etched all over my face.