"Sure, I like them. But you're different, a good different," he said. I grinned and placed an arm around him. "Will you care for me? I'm tired of Courfeyrac," he said. I held back a laugh and glanced over at Courfeyrac, who listened and made a face.

"I will. I'd get tired of Courfeyrac too." He looked over at me and scowled as Combeferre hit his shoulder. Gavroche laughed and I felt his head fall onto my shoulder. I looked down and smiled at him, taking his small hand in my own. Marius walked past, a strange look in his eye. He sat in a chair and just stared, a smile permanently resting on his lips. I watched him silently, hearing the boys around me growing louder in volume. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Enjolras stand and look at the group. He took a breath and then, without warning, looked at me. My breath caught in my throat as we held eye contact.

"The time is near," he said loudly, commanding everyone's attention. As they turned to him, he looked away from me. "So near it's stirring the blood in their veins! And yet, beware. Don't let the wine go to your brains." He stood tall, his head held high as he spoke to everyone. I watched him closely now, unable to look away from him. Gavroche had risen to his feet and stared at me with a grin. I ran my fingers through his blond hair, looking at him with and returning his smile.

"We need a sign. To rally the people, to call them to arms, to bring them in line!" The boys surrounded him as he spoke to them, clapping him on the back and chanting. I let myself look at him again. He turned his head and we locked eyes once more. This time, I could feel the smile on my face. For some reason I couldn't suppress it. It was like I had no control over it anymore. I felt Gavroche grab my hand and he yanked me to my feet. I looked at him and laughed, taking both his hands in mine. Then, I caught sight of Marius, who hadn't budged.

"Marius, what's wrong today? You look as if you've seen a ghost," Feuilly said, interrupting the chants. No one really paid attention, though they did turn to Marius. Their cheering had only quieted as they watched Marius look up at them.

"Some whine and say whats going on," Grantaire added. Marius stood up, walking toward them. In an instant I knew what was going on with him. The look in his eye, the smile, the way he carried himself. He had at least seen her.

"A ghost you say, a ghost maybe. She was just like a ghost to me, one minute there, then she was gone," he said, turning toward me. I raised my eyebrows at him and he walked in my direction. I shook my head at him as he lazily walked.

"I am agog. I am aghast. Is Marius in love at last?" Grantaire joked, stumbling toward Marius and I. Marius turned to look at him. "I've never heard him ooh and aah. You talk of battles to be won and here he comes like Don Juan. It is better than an opera!" I laughed, leaning onto Marius' side. He shook his head at me as the rest of the boys chimed in.

"Pity the woman you've fallen for. You're impossibly difficult," I said, nudging him with my shoulder. He shoved me to the side with a scoff. Grantaire laughed as Courfeyrac came up beside me. I held onto Gavroche, keeping him at my side. The boys taunted Marius, making faces and laughed as he pushed them away. I chuckled and felt Gavroche do the same. I looked down at him as he giggled at the boys teasing Marius brutally. I looked back up as some began to sit back down. The teasing had not ceased but some boys had separated, now watching. I saw Enjolras push a chair aside as he strode over to them all. They stopped, staring at him as he walked into the center of the room.

"It is time for us all to decide who we are. Do we fight for the right to a night at the opera now?" His voice seemed to echo in the room as he spoke, a fire in his eyes. I couldn't help but stare. He commanded to be heard with just his voice, and that I respected him for. "Have you asked of yourselves what's the price you might pay? Is it simply a game.."

He paused and looked at Marius, glaring into his eyes.

"..For rich young boys to play? The colors of the world are changing day by day." His speech seemed to make everyone get their act together as they all silently listened. They looked at him with much respect.

"Red, the blood of angry men! Black, the dark of ages past! Red, a world about to dawn! Black, the night that ends at last!" he yelled, grabbing onto Feuilly's shoulder. He looked at Marius again, the two sharing an intense stare. Then, Marius stood and held Enjolras' eye. He folded his arms and took slow steps toward Enjolras. They met in the middle, standing face to face. I felt Gavroche slip from my grasp and I watched him as he ran down the stairs. I wanted to follow him, but something told me it was urgent. So I let him go.

"Had you seen her today you might know how it feels," he started, a kind of smoothness to his voice as he spoke. "To be struck to the bone in a moment of breathless delight. Had you been there today you might also have known how your world may be changed in just one burst of light." I watched as Enjolras stared at him, something in his eyes changing as Marius went on about the girl.

"And what was right seems wrong, and what was wrong seems right."

Enjolras stepped back slightly, still looking at him. He took a sharp breath and ran a hand through his hair.

"Red," Grantaire said, coming up behind Enjolras.

"I feel my soul on fire!" Marius said.

"Black."

"My world if she's not there."

"Red."

"Is the color of desire."

"Black." Grantaire held his arms out at Marius in a manner that taunted Enjolras. I saw him shake his head, though his eyes told a different story.

"Is the color of despair." Marius held his arms out to the side and stared closely at Enjolras. They stared at each other a moment before Enjolras placed a hand on Marius' shoulder.

"Marius, you're no longer a child," he said in a harsh tone. I glared at him and he looked over, pausing for a moment as he stood taller. "I do not doubt you mean it well," he added. "But now there is a higher call. Who cares about your lonely soul?"

"That was harsh," I mumbled toward Courfeyrac, who nodded in silent agreement.

"We strive toward a larger goal. Our little lives don't count at all."

Marius looked down at his feet and shoved his hands into his pockets. I watched him as he took slow breaths. Enjolras turned around and looked at the boys watching him.

"Red!" he yelled out, holding his arms up.

"The blood of angry men!" everyone yelled back.

"Black!"

"The dark of ages past!" I watched as everyone joined the chant.

"Red!" He looked at me again, his eyes hopeful and full of the same pride I had seen at the rally. His previous gaze had vanished almost entirely. He nodded at me and held my gaze longer than he ever had.

"A world about to dawn!" I joined in.

"Black," he smiled slightly.

"The night that ends at last!"