7

The dreaded day had finally come. It was the girls first day back at school. They had to leave in no less than half an hour, and Yelena wasn't dressed, hadn't eaten breakfast and refuses point blank to even get out of bed.

Natasha on the other hand was completely ready to go, and Maria silently thanks her compliance as she yet again attempts to pursuade Yelena to get out of bed.

"You've already earned yourself a time out young lady, do you want to lose tv privileges too?" She harmlessly threatens as she yet again pulls the blankets off of the girl. The last thing she wants to do it physically force the girl out of bed, but she was admittedly coming dangerously close to it.

It wasn't like Yelena to act out like this, so whatever was going on was something she'd have to figure out fast.

Yelena once again ignores her, and Maria was done. With a heavy sigh, she hauls the child out of bed and basically manhandles her into the outfit she'd picked out last night. Yelena screams and cries throughout the process, and Maria could already feel a headache growing as she forces little feet into their shoes. She then lifts her limp and thriving frame into her arms and carries her downstairs, sitting herself down at the table with the child on her lap.

Natasha was already here, sketch book in front of her and a small bowl of fruit by her side. Maria couldn't help but smile at the sight as she readjusts the squirming thing on her lap.

"I know you're upset lena, and I'm sorry. But I can't help you if you don't tell me why." She murmurs into Yelena's ear, bouncing the upset girl in her arms in an attempt at calming her down.

"Don't wanna go!" Yelena shouts frustratedly.

"Why?" Maria asks, a vain attempt at getting the answer she'd been looking for for the past three days.

"No!" Yelena cries as she attempts to once again squirm off of Maria's lap, and the woman lets out a sigh as she tightens her grip around her.

"Okay okay, that's enough. Look at me. Look at me Yelena." Maria raises her voice slightly in order to be heard, placing her hand underneath the girls chin.

Yelena let's out a choked sob as she was forced to make eye contact with Maria, and the woman presses a lingering kiss to her for head before pulling her close against her chest.

"Tell me why lena. Be a big girl and tell me why." She murmurs into the top of her head.

Natasha looks at them both with a nervous look on her face, and Maria sends her a gentle, knowing smile. The blue haired child nods in understanding, allowing Maria to bring her attention back to a sniffling Yelena.

"Come on little one. Please tell me," She coaxes. "Tell me what's got you so angry and upset."

"I-I don't want to go to s-school." Yelena chokes out as she clings pleadingly to Maria's shirt, and the woman nods as she begins to gently rock her in her arms. "Please don't m-make me. P-please."

"Okay," Maria caves, "okay, I won't make you go today. But you need to tell me why soon. I can't help you if I don't know what's going on."

Yelena sobs as she nods her head, and Maria stands up with the girl on her hip, holding her as close as she could, "Natasha, baby, go get your backpack please and wait by the car." She gently instructs, and Natasha nods as she gives her a sister a concerned look before scurrying out of the room.

Maria pulls off Yelena's shoes before pouring a baggy of cereal for her to eat on the way to school. She didn't want her leaving the house on an empty stomach, even if they were coming right back after dropping Natasha off.