Chapter 9

Amelia is leaning back in the barstool, the edge of the counter digging unpleasantly into her back. She's not paying attention to the discomfort, however, because she's busy observing Pete "Maverick" Mitchell in his element. He's giving the group of aviators under his care a pep talk and, even though she can't actually hear his speech, she can tell it's at least half decent by the inspired looks on the officers' faces.

Bob and Phoenix are still under medical observation but are expected to make a full recovery, which means they all have a lot to be thankful for.

Sydney is sitting in the lap of one of the officers – Hangman, she'd called him – and he's got his arms wrapped around her. She watches her father with an grim expression and Amelia feels a pang of guilt considering she's the one who might have instilled some of the animosity her daughter feels toward him.

Once Maverick is finished, a loud cheer erupts from the pilots' table and they raise their glasses as Maverick turns back to the bar with a sheepish grin. He shakes his head, looking at Amelia, and she gives him a small smile. After the day he's had, he deserves at least that.

He makes his way toward her, his expression a well-balanced mix of joy and apprehension.

"Hey," he says, taking up the seat next to hers. He spins on the stool to face the bar.

Amelia leans away from the counter, glancing at his side profile as he knocks his knuckles on the polished surface, nodding at the bartender to get his attention.

"Your usual?" he asks.

Amelia takes a deep breath and then slowly releases it. "You know, I'm not overly thirsty."

He looks at her with a smirk he tries to conceal by quickly pursing his lips. "You might be in the wrong place, then," he says.

She nods. "Yeah, I was afraid of that," she responds quietly.

Maverick lets out a sigh and, when the bartender arrives, he orders himself a gin and tonic, and then turns to Amelia. "For the lady," he says, giving her a crooked smile, "Sex on the Beach, was it?"

She scoffs. "Yeah, Captain. In your dreams."

Maverick laughs. "You're right," he responds, grinning back at the unimpressed bartender. "She'll have a Long Island Iced Tea, please."

"Actually," Amelia says musingly once the bartender walks away. "Sex on the Beach sounds pretty good right about now."

Maverick chuckles, shaking his head. "The ways you torment me, woman," he says. "It's a damn crime."

"Do you want me to stop?" she asks innocently.

He glances at her. "Never," he responds immediately.

Amelia's eyebrows converge at the miserable look in his eyes and she feels instantly guilty for flirting back. She reminds herself that he started it, as always. But that doesn't mean she shouldn't have put a stop to it. She clears her throat. "Pete," she starts.

Maverick groans. "Oh, please don't call me that."

Amelia's shoulders slump. "Mav," she says softly.

"Hm?" he hums, looking up at her tiredly, and she reaches out to place her hand on his knee.

"I'm not here to upset you. I'm certainly not here to torment you," she continues. "But I'm also not here for you. I don't want you to get the wrong idea or" –

"Or to get my hopes up," Maverick finishes.

Amelia sighs, tearing her eyes away from his burning gaze. "If that's what's happening, then yes."