9. Plight of Aphrodite's favourite

Start from the beginning

'Kind of.'

'WHAT? Did they do something? Did they-'

'Go to sleep, DunDun, it's too early for you to wake up, after yesterday's mission.'

'Hmm, I'm sleeping rn, CorCor. But Julian's negative report on Rohypnol isn't leaving my head.'

'Maybe he's a rare case of genetic mutation of this century?'

'Huh, a mutation that gives you twice the strength from a sleep-inducing drug?' He asked, incredulous. 'Have never heard anything of that sort.'

I let out a heavy sigh. It was beyond me, how that powerful drug didn't affect Julian.

'Maybe the royalty takes a medicinal drug of their own type that makes them so resilient?'

'Hmm, I have no idea if plant or animal-based drugs are stronger than the 21st century, chemically refined ones...'

We talked for a while, coming to no conclusion. The more I thought, my head hurt. Partially because of the hit I'd just received.

'Did you burn my book?' I asked.

'Not yet.'

'Why?'

'There's some hella interesting thing you wrote. Would read a bit, then burn it. Promise.'

The hazy skies gave way to soothing sunshine as we reached the temple. The way they had constructed it was beyond beautiful, with water waves from the harbour nearby making it even more serene.

Both Greek and Egyptian architecture were used to build it as I noticed some key differences. The abode of the new religion - syncretism.

The carriage stopped at one exit of the marvellous temple, its entrance crowded. People were hailing Alexander for coming up with such a great religious concept.

Fragrance of fruits and flowers that I'd never known before engulfed the area as we entered the vast temple. Amongst the variety of offerings and decorations were the mysterious deities I'd never seen.

"This is God Hermanubis." The priestess there, who was a very cheerful woman, guided us. "He is derived from the Greek God Hermes and Egyptian God Anubis. This is the speciality of our syncretic religion." She smiled. "He is an important God of the afterlife and guides souls..." she continued her explanation as I looked at the deity. The head of a jackal - God Anubis and the body of God Hermes. Interesting.

Lots of flowers and scented wood were used to embellish the area. Everything looked so peaceful that a smile came over my lips.

I wonder if Julian had visited this temple...

As soon as that thought came, I became aware of the pain in my head and continued to follow the priestesses around.

Separated from the area meant for the public's worship, they led us to another hall of this giant temple, which appeared to be quieter. Priestesses from other temples had also congregated here.

"I request the priestesses of Hathor and priestesses of Athena to assemble aside." The head priestess announced as women began to shuffle. I kept myself close to my group, as we were the priestesses of Aphrodite.

The selected group were assigned some tasks as we watched in glee. Everyone was whispering excitedly, delighted to be here.

"You saw God, Serapis?" Miria asked me, mesmerised. "He looks so much like God Zeus."

"Yes," I smiled, "But Serapis is actually a combination of the Egyptian Gods Osiris, Apis and Greek ones, Zeus and Helios."

"I like the atmosphere here." Priestess Zina from our group beamed. "I love how gods here are not worshipped with strict codes and adherence, but with love. It brings so much peace to my heart." She sighed. Everyone could relate to her words.