Chapter Three: The Potter Scion

"Hadri, wake up!" Eight-year-old Hadrian Potter groaned and turned over in bed, plunging face-first into a soft pillow. "Hadrian!" 

With another groan, the Potter scion turned over to face his assailant, a dazzling girl with long, wavy dark blond hair, defined, aristocratic cheekbones, a pair of brilliant blue eyes which shone with mirth and a radiant smile. "Daphne, what in Merlin's name are you doing on my bed?" 

The Greengrass heiress rolled her eyes, hoisting her legs up onto his bed and leaning back on a pillow next to him. "I woke up early, and your grandmother told me to wake you up. Happy birthday by the way!" She shot him a dazzling smile, giving him a tight embrace. 

Sighing, the Potter heir returned the hug. "What time is it?" He asked, as Daphne reached over to grab his gold pocket watch from a bedside table. Taking a glance at it, she responded, "Half past seven. Get out of bed and get dressed." She scolded Hadrian, who merely rolled his eyes and threw the blankets off of his body. 

Daphne's face became contorted with red, as she immediately stood up. "I-I'll be d-downstairs waiting for y-you, alright H-Hadrian?" More heat rising to her face, the girl ran out of the Potter heir's bedroom, hastening to close the door behind him. 

Hadrian frowned, before looking down at his body. He was wearing a set of boxers and shorts, with nothing covering his tones chest muscles. The Potter heir blushed before scampering into his private bathroom to brush his teeth. After putting on some dark blue robes, combing his silky black hair backwards and jamming his shoes on, Hadrian made his way down to the sitting room. 

It was his birthday, something that was always celebrated heavily in the Black and Potter manors. He would alternate thoroughly between his grandfather Charlus' manor and his grandmother's brother Arcturus Black's manor but stayed in the Black Lord's castle for the majority of his time. For the past seven years, he had been doted on by both households, much beloved by both the rather large Black family and a an even larger extended Potter family. Many of his married relatives on the Black side such as Callidora Longbottom nee Black and Charis Crouch nee Black loved him fiercely, just as extended members of the Potter family such as his older third cousin Sinclair Potter and great aunt Dahlia Rosier nee Potter. Throughout his seven years of life so far, he had been taught etiquette, spell work, basic runes and arithmancy, proceedings of the Wizengamot, and other important topics of study young heirs needed to perfect. The young boy wasn't exactly lonely through his studies though, as at the age of six, his grandparents decided he should be shown to the rest of the pureblood community. 

*Flashback beginning*

"Come on, Hadrian! We're going to be late if you don't finish dressing in time!" Hadrian's best friend and his Uncle Lucius' firstborn son Elan shouted from downstairs. 

"I'm coming!" The Potter heir hollered, before smoothing out his dress robes one final time and racing down the stairs. 

Elan, a tall boy his height with the traditional Malfoy platinum blond hair, piercing blue eyes, and lean, aristocratic bones that he inherited from his mother. "What took you so long?" Elan asked him as they headed to the Black ballroom. "You dress longer than my mother!" 

"It's our first ball, I wanted to dress my best." He grumbled, as Elan gave a nod of acceptance. "Let's get to the ball, if we wait any longer, your mum will have our heads." 

The ball had gone splendid, except for the fact that Elan and Hadrian had to spend the whole night dancing with every girl at the ball. The two heirs were introduced to many other pureblood allies, such as the Longbottoms and the Rosier families. There was one other person Hadrian had yet been introduced to, who was taking restrained sips out of a glass of water while staring wistfully outside a window. Hadrian excused himself from a conversation about quidditch with Aria Rosier and Elan, walking up to the pretty girl with long, wavy dark blond hair. He tapped her one time on the shoulder, as the girl turned around swiftly. "My lady, I don't believe I've acquainted myself with you. Hadrian Potter, at your service." He took her hand and brushed his lips across her knuckles. 

She blushed, but responded, nonetheless. "Well met, heir Potter. Daphne Greengrass, heiress to the Most Noble and Ancient House of Greengrass." 

"You can call me Hadrian. Would you care for a dance?" He put on his most dazzling smile as Daphne grinned right back. 

"Of course. Lead the way, Hadrian." 

*Flashback End* 

Hadrian had met many of his best friends at that ball, promising to stay in touch with them when the ball was over, and the guests left the manor. Arcturus Black, Charlus Potter, Abraxas Malfoy, and Cygnus Greengrass had all been major players who held massive amounts of power in their glory day, leading their kids and grandchildren to become extremely close allies and friends. When the young heirs turned eight years old, the housewives of the many Houses decided that it would be more beneficial for the heirs to study together under a tutor. This would allow them to bond as both allies and friends, while studying in a more efficient manner. Melania Black, Arcturus' wife hired Everett Jesentor, one of the most popular and well-versed tutors in the country to teach the children at Black manor every day. 

Charlus Potter and Arcturus Black saw fit that the boys of the various houses should go through extensive physical training in order to hone their magical powers. According to Charlus Potter, magic was properly tuned through the development of the magical core, mind, and physical body. Without being properly tuned, one could not reach their potential in the magical arts. Every day before Professor Jesentor arrived, the boys would run six laps outside the manor and practice sword fighting for another one hour before heading inside to wash up. Under the careful eye of Cygnus Greengrass, they learned how to use various magical and hand-to-hand weapons and practiced dueling with them. Over time, these physical workouts did their job of strengthening the boys' bodies and helping them tune their magic with their soul frequency. 

Hadrian's tenth birthday signaled the end of their tutoring days. Each family withdrew their heir to start teaching them family magic or specific traditions pertaining to that individual house. 

Charlus Potter was adamant on Hadrian training for most of the day and letting him enjoy himself with his friends in the afternoons. 

*Flashback beginning*

"If you want to beat me in a duel, Hadrian, you must get better at firing spells quicker. The faster you can attack and counterattack, the less time you have to defend." Charlus said sternly, lifting Hadrian off the ground after an intense (mostly one-sided) duel. 

Grumbling, Hadrian brushed the dust off of his robes and shifted into a dueling position. "Ready lad? One more round and we're finished for the day!" 

"Obscurio Fumos Encirclia." Hadrian recited, swishing his wand in a complicated gesture. 

Thick sheets of smoke encircled Charlus, obscuring his eyesight and senses. With a flick of his wand, the Potter lord repulsed the waves of smoke and sent three identical blue spells flying at Hadrian. With a yelp, he dodged the first two and twirled his wand to draw a rune for the third. A shield of white magic appeared in front of him, absorbing the spell and sending it back. With a flick, Hadrian threw a depulso as well as two stunners behind it. Charlus blocked the first two spells casually and erected a wall to block the stunners. Using confringo, he blasted apart the wall and sent the chunks of stone flying at his grandson. Hadrian was quick to put up a shiel charm, which caused many of the chunks to bounce harmlessly off the blue sheet of magic. One, however, pierced through the shield and hit the young Potter in the stomach, sending him to the ground with a grunt. He hobbled back to his feet, raising his arm to attack when a disarming charm sent his wand flying out of his hand. 

Charlus nodded in pride. "You'll make a great dueler, my son. The most important part of fighting is knowing when to keep going, and when to retreat. You've certainly got the metal for a fighter."

*Flashback end*

A/N

Hello my lovely readers! WARNING: The next chapter will be a time skip... and a big one at that. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'll be sure to revise it and edit it more, but I want to get it published beforehand. See ya!

- Your (hopefully) (possibly) favorite Typewriter.