I shook my head in disapproval before turning to Tanjiro, the only one left, besides Nezuko of course.  He nodded his head as if giving me permission to run off but despite my anticipation to enjoy the festival, I didn't want to enjoy it alone but I didn't want to join the others and end up in some sort of trouble. 

I stood my ground and gazed into Tanjiro's eyes, probably for a little too long as I shifted a little uneasily and averted my stare somewhere else taking a step back into the crowd.  Tanjiro seemed to sense my uncertainty as he reached a hand out. 

"Do you wanna come with me?" he asked gently.  "I'm going to go somewhere less crowded so Nezuko can have some fun as well."  I nodded quickly and gingerly took his hand.  He smiled and tugged me along the alleyway.  His hand was warm against my cool skin.  I didn't know whether to pull my hand away or leave it be, if anyone saw two boys holding hands we could find trouble.  He gently squeezed my hand as if calming my unspoken insecurity. 

I smiled brightly, looking up at the night sky seeing the bright stars and full moon.  My nervousness drowned out by the moment.  The air had turned a little chilly, raising goosebumps along my arms.  Tanjiro glanced at me and I flashed him a smile.  I truly felt content. 

We turned down another, less crowded street as the mass of the celebration fell behind us.  As excited as I was for the celebration, I couldn't help the butterflies in my stomach from being with Tanjiro.  It was worth the trade off. 

After a short while of walking, Tanjiro slowed to a stop on the edge of the town.  He sadly let go of my hand and slid his box off his shoulders, knocking before he opened the hatch, letting Nezuko crawl out and grow to her normal size.  I gave her a wave before moving to smooth out a wrinkle in her robes on her shoulder. 

I truly loved Nezuko in a protective way, I understood Tanjiro's need to protect her and felt that need arise in myself now and again.  She seemed to beam at me from behind her muzzle. 

"There's a food vendor right around the corner where we can get food," Tanjiro stated.  I nodded before helping him put the box back on his shoulders.  He smiled at me in a way that definitely wasn't helping the butterflies.  "He's going to join us Nezuko, ok?"  She only nodded.

All three of us walked to the corner to find the vendor Tanjiro had mentioned, me pulling out the necessary money.  Tanjiro had attempted to pay himself but I turned him down quickly. 

After we had our food Tanjiro decided to find a more secluded spot for us to eat while Nezuko napped.  We ended up walking to the edge of town where the forest line began.  I looked around to find an old, cobblestone square lined with low stone walls covered in moss.  No one was around and the moonlight lit up the area beautifully. 

I stepped towards what was once probably some sort of trading area.  Tanjiro and Nezuko followed me to a patch where grass had begun to grow over the stone ground.  Lowering myself to the ground, I let out a sigh of relief feeling the tension in my sore muscles relax.  Tanjiro joined me as Nezuko walked to the other side of the square to lay on the wall. 

He glanced my way, locking eyes before looking away to eat his meal.  I blushed slightly before taking a bite of my own food.  We sat in comfortable silence till all the food was eaten.  I laid back against the soft grass watching as Tanjiro did the same by my side. 

"You're missing the festival," he stated quietly.  I nodded, not trusting to say anything that might give me away.  He continued on despite my efforts. 

"I'm glad you're here though."  The blush worked its way back onto my face.  It didn't sound like he was just talking about being here at this moment but that may just have been my wishful thinking. 

Tanjiro sat up again to look at me.  I gulped down my nervousness and propped myself up on my elbows.  That's when I noticed his own light blush.  My breathing quickened in anticipation.  The view of him swathed in moonlight wasn't helping my attraction either.  He inched slightly closer as his hand brushed my own. 

"You can tell me to stop if this makes you uncomfortable," he gently whispered, looking at where our hands touched.  I took a sharp intake of breath as he looked back up at me.  Nervously, my hand moved to interlock with his.  He smiled brightly and pulled me in closer to his body.  Our bodies collided gently as his arms wound their way around me.  His warmth sent a shock through me that I quickly recovered from as I snuggled in close.  His head laid against mine as his eyes turned skyward towards the full moon.  I gazed up as well in sheer bliss wondering how lucky I could be. 

The night began to slip away as we held on to each other.  I looked over to Nezuko, still laying on the wall.  She gazed back till I beckoned her over to join our hug as well.  She perked up instantly and shuffled over before lying herself down with us turning our hug into a cuddle pile.  She wiggled around making me and Tanjiro laugh as we all settled in to watch the night sky together.  Tanjiro quickly leaned over to give me a sweet peck on the forehead before lying back again.  My face felt hot as I smiled sheepishly. 

My attention once again averted to the night sky.  The stars blinked and the moon shined down on our affectionate bundle as sleep overcame us all leaving gentle smiles on our faces.