Prologue

8 years ago

"Get down!" Frank yelled across the yard to his best friend Gerard who was holding the fake gun and shooting the pretend enemies. "They're gonna kill you!"

Gerard looked from the enemy to Frank and dropped to the ground. Shooting the enemies with even more force, thinking he looked even more hardcore badass. Like he always thought he was.

Frank huffed and aimed his gun, running to Showoff Gerard and saving him, because he apparently didn't know how to save himself.

But then Frank got shot and fell to the ground in a painful and bloody death. "Seriously?! I'm done playing!" Frank yelled and stood up, tossing the gun into the grass and running into the house to get a drink of lemonade.

Sometimes Frank got really annoyed with Gerard when he was being to much of a showoff because Frank always wound up dying in the end of it- even if he was only pretending to die by fake enemies, Frank took the games seriously- even if Gerard didn't.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Donna asked, coming out of the laundry room with a laundry basket full of folded laundry. "Is Gerard being a little showoff again?"

Frank nodded and picked up his orange cup full of lemonade. "I died again."

Donna smiled and shook her head and walked into the bathroom.

"I'm sorry." Gerard mumbled, walking into the house. "I didn't mean to kill you...again."

Frank smiled at Gerard and shrugged, "I'm not sure I can forgive you this time..." A frown making its way to his face.

"What?! No, please! I didn't mean to kill you! Let me love you Frank!" Gerard begged, tugging on Frank's long sleeved shirt. "I won't ever, ever, ever do it again, please!"

Frank nodded and pulled Gerard into a hug, "you killed me like, a bunch of times, but I still love you." But of course, it was only a friendly love.

"Frank..." Donna walked into the kitchen again with the house phone in her palm, "it's your mom on the phone."

Frank looked to Gerard with sad look before hesitantly grabbing it and putting it to his ear. The only time his mom called was when he had to come home or to ask if Frank could come over; which was rarely since Frank just ran away from home most of the time.

"Hello...mom." He answered quietly.

Gerard knew that Frank was abused at home. Since they had become friends in kindergarten and it was now the 3rd grade, he'd ask Frank why there were purple marks on his arms and legs one day in 1st grade and Frank just broke down crying into his best friend Gerard's shoulder, telling him everything there was to know and to never tell his mom or dad that he knew anything.

So Gerard knew that every time Frank had to go home- it was a hard time for him, because it didn't seem to be that his parents even liked him all that much.

Frank sniffled and gave the phone back to Mama Way and instantly grabbed onto Gerard, "she's moving me away, Gee!"

What did that mean? Gerard looked down to the shorter kid with wide eyes. He had to leave? "W-what? Why? Frankie! Don't leave me!"

The two boys cried in each other's arms while waiting for Linda Iero to pull up in the driveway with either her beat up gray Subaru or a big and stupid moving van.

"Gee...you won't forget me, will you?" Frank asked, his backpack on his back and small hand grasping the metal door handle. "Because when I'm gone. You will always be my best friend, even though you aren't there with me. You will always be my best friend."

Gerard shook his head. "You are my best friend and you always will be. No matter how close or far away, that spot will be yours and no one else's, okay?"

Gerard walked closer and hugged Frank once more. "I'll see you soon...maybe over the summer or something you can come back...and we'll be happy again, just like old times?"

Gerard talking like they were 20 and trying to do 9 year old things was funny. Even though he and Frank were 10, and the things they did were right now, but by next summer, they would both be 11; one whole year older and by that time all the things they did earlier that afternoon would be old times.

"I love you Gee." Frank whispered. It was only friendly love, they were only ten - therefore, they knew nothing about love or sexuality.

"I love you too, Frank." Gerard replied, he couldn't bring himself to look his best friend in the eyes without the fear of crying and holding onto him and never wanting to let go. "But we will see each other over the summer - and every summer until we are older than the planet, okay?"

Gerard didn't even care if that made sense, but he was only ten, remember?

Frank giggled and opened the door. "I gotta go Gee. My mom will be getting mad soon."

Gerard nodded in agreement and watched his best friend get into the back seat of the vehicle where his mom proceeded to yell or get very angry with him for making her wait for so long.

Gerard was sad. And he would stay sad until his best friend Frank was playing the shooting game they made up in the front yard and where Frank would continue to 'die' because Gerard had cool moves that he wanted to show Frank.

But none of that would happen again, because the next time they would see each other, they would be to old to play games.

Because games are only for children.

Hm...was it a good idea to start a new story? I think not! I still have other stories that need to be updated that I can't be bothered to, well, I'm probably gonna regret this but, whatever

Thanks Pete!