Chapter 7 - Water Bottle

The results are announced the next day during break. Blossom wins the sanitary prefect post. Her twin, Bliss cheers for her as if she won one major thing like this. Like she did not just win the responsibility of keeping the class clean. I say congratulations to her anyway. But Jamal should have gotten it, in my opinion.

Jamal doesn't seem bothered. He claps for her when they call her name and even gives her a high five when she sits down.

Farida, on the other hand, looks dismayed. Tears even begin to collect in her eyes.

But wait. Did she actually think she was going to win? After that rubbish she did yesterday? And why is she crying? It's not that big a deal.

I realize that I am being mean. And even though she can't read my mind, I feel guilty. I lean towards her to try to make her feel better.

"I voted for you sha."

She looks at me with an expression I interpret to be gratitude then puts her head on her desk. It better be gratitude. Because if I voted for Jamal now, maybe he would have won.

Christian didn't even come to school today. It's good that he didn't win. So if they elected him president now, is this how he'll treat the position?

I catch myself again. What's going on with me this morning?

It's no surprise that I win the assistant class prefect post. It was already a done deal yesterday.

I get ready to cheer for Joy but I'm surprised when Mrs Elliot says,

"Your new class captain is Emmanuel Aderan!"

There's a shocked silence from students sitting at the front. Then the boys sitting at the back erupt into cheers.

"That's our captain!" Michael hoots as Emmanuel stands, a somewhat dazed expression on his face.

Inwardly, I swoon. He's so supportive!

I subtly turn around to look at Joy. She looks surprised as well. She has been the class captain since JS1. I bet she expected to win. I almost say something to her but then I don't. Coming from me, considering I have a post, she might not take it well.

"Okay, everyone. Settle down. Emmanuel, Munachi and Blossom, please come forward."

We obey.

"These are your new class prefects. Even though you are around the same age and in the same class, I want you to respect their office and do what they ask you to do. And for you," she faces us. "Handle this leadership responsibly. You should already know your duties by now. If you don't, come and see me later. Don't boss your classmates around too much. But be serious and firm when you need to be. You are leaders for a reason. Is that understood?" She looks at Emmanuel pointedly.

Huh. I guess she does remember.

"Yes ma." We all say.

"Good. Congratulations. You can have your break now."

Everyone starts to form groups to talk. I walk over to my seat. Farida is sitting on Michael's seat with her head on the desk. Joy is rubbing her back and comforting her.

What on earth?

"Is she crying?" I mouth to Joy.

She nods.

There's no way. Is this girl a baby?

I shake my head and start to go to her but Joy motions that I should go to the canteen to eat. I disagree but she keeps waving her hand towards the door.

"Just go." She mouths.

I turn around and leave. I'm even hungry sef. I'm sure Joy will take care of her. I don't think she likes her but she hates when people cry. Underneath that tough exterior, she has a really soft heart.