Prologue

A Love Among the Greenleaves

Prologue

_______________________________________________________

No one knew it that day, but at the end of the First Age in Greenwood the Great, a future queen was born. Her parents, who were descendants of the Nandor elves that left the Great Journey and didn't dare pass the Misty Mountains, however, knew their daughter was special. She seemed to glow in the forest, being a light for anyone who may or may not need it to guide their way back home.

So they named her Ethiriel; an elven play on words of the common men's word, "Ethereal."

Just like any of the Silvan elves among her, Ethiriel grew up with an innate love for the forest she called home and the animals within it. When she was little, she would sit upon her father's shoulder and listen to her mother tell her the importance of being one with nature and how they not only relied on the forest for shelter, but that the forest, in turn, relied on them to keep it growing and blossoming with life.

At first, Ethiriel didn't understand her parents' message, at least not until the day that the Sindar elves from Doriath arrived, wishing to return to the simple life natural to the Elves before the invitation of the Valar had disturbed it.

And that was when she met King Oropher's son, Prince Thranduil, and everything changed.

This is where our story begins. A story of eternal love, grief, and rebirth. The story of the future Elvenking and Elvenqueen of the Woodland Realm.

______________________________________________________________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Everyone has their origin story for Thranduil and his wife, so this is mine. I've been working on this for years and I'm just now finally getting it out in the open. It mostly follows the plot of The Hobbit films, but I've also used some stuff from the books too.

I personally think that if Tolkien had been able to go back and work on Legolas' background that he would have made his mother a Silvan elf. And no, I don't agree with the Hobbit films having Thranduil speak ill of Silvan elves. It doesn't make sense, not only because he is their ruler, but because when he moved to Greenwood with his father, Tolkien says the Sindar elves wanted to adopt their lifestyle and language. Hence, it doesn't make sense for Thranduil to say that...but you'll see why I have him say it in Part 2.

And yes, there will be a Part 2, maybe even 3 to this series. This is just the origin story of how it all came to be.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy what I have to come. I always welcome constructive criticism.